Chapter 9 - Finishing What I Began

Challu came in fourth, a good showing for his second race. Watto zoomed to his pilot, cursing the young Rodian in Huttese and throwing tools at him.

After removing Luke from his shoulders, Darth Vader turned his gaze on the grand balcony and nodded at Jabba.

The Hutt mobster proclaimed over a loudspeaker in Huttese. "Silence. Silence."

The crowd settled down in response to the booming voice over the loudspeaker.

"The Galactic Empire has honored us with a Grand Visitor, the Sith Lord Darth Vader."

The audience took in a deep breath, almost together.

"Our illustrious guest has offered us two choices—release our slaves—"

The audience booed and threw detritus at Jabba's balcony.

"—or Tatooine will become a maximum-security Imperial prison, with all Imperial laws enforced."

The crowd's eyes turned as one upon Darth Vader in the raised box.

He crossed his arms as stormtroopers moved into position around the arena and aimed their blasters at the crowd. Vader raised his vocalizer volume to the maximum. "Which is it going to be? Release your slaves or become slaves for the Empire yourselves?"

Jabba looked at the crowd with guarded eyes, unsure of which way to proceed. His son Rotta lounged a few meters behind him.

Bib Fortuna whispered in Jabba's ear. "Release the slaves, Master. Once the Imperials have left, we can capture them again."

Jabba chortled. "The slaves are free."

Vader nodded his approval. "Wise decision, Your Excellency. I will be leaving a garrison to ensure that every slave receives his chip controller and that the situation does not alter once I leave this system."

The giant slug spluttered drool across his vast belly.

"Jabba, you seemed surprised. Is not this the same thing you would do in my position? I learned years ago never to trust a Hutt."

Vader pressed a button to lower the viewing pod to the sandy arena floor.

Lieutenant Piett waited for them at the base of the platform. The officer held the folded flag in his arms. He offered it to Lord Vader as soon as he exited the booth.

Vader took it, holding it briefly before handing it to Luke. "Thank you, Lieutenant."

"My pleasure, Lord Vader."

Luke grinned. "Oh, cool, my very own pod racing flag. One day when I race pods, I'm going to use it for my ensign."

Vader breathed harshly, his respirator straining. "You are never racing pods, and that's final."

Luke glared at his father, rebellion leaking through his Force-bond.

Vader growled at the boy and placed his large hand on his son's shoulder in warning. 

The boy quickly replied, "Yes, F—Lord Vader."

The Sith Lord turned to his aide. "I want every house in the slave quarter checked. Bring down two more legions. If a slave does not have his chip controller, the troops are to arrest the owners. I expect the slave quarters secured by dawn. Am I making myself clear, Lieutenant?"

"Perfectly, Lord Vader." Piett sent orders through his datapad.

As they walked across the sand to the shuttle, Luke asked, "So, if slavery is illegal in the Empire, why are the Wookiees slaves?"