Chapter 1: Fascinated by Death

12 o'clock. The old church bells rang out into the darkness, sending a flock of pigeons into disarray, cooing and flapping violently away from the aged building. Each slow chime echoed through the cavernous inner hall, reverberating off the ancient stone, bouncing between each red velvet lined pew and finally laying to rest upon the altar. Vermon and her mother exited the church, hand in hand. The weather made Vermon smile for she loved gloomy days. The sky was gray and the smell of rain filled her nose with delight.

"What an amazing lecture that was," her mother said with half smile. "Death has always fascinated me."

Vermon hated death and the idea of it. It scared her. She cared about what happened after she would die. "What happens when you die, mommy?" she asked. She wanted to ask before but the preach wouldn't give her that chance. Anyone who talks during the lectures is immediately banned from the Church. Rules were firm and strict.

Drops of rain splashed on their heads. "Goodness, I forgot the umbrella at home. We have to hurry." The two of them reached the sidewalk then ran towards their house which is very nearby the Church. By the time they reached the front door, the rain was pouring down. The sound of rain hitting cars calmed Vermon. She loved it much.

Once they were in the house, Vermon quickly removed her shoes and coat. Her mother put Vermon's items in the closet neatly. "What happens when you die, mommy?" she asked again while following her mother to the kitchen.

"When you die," her mother pulled a cutting board from one of the cabinets. "You are either sent to heaven or hell.

"That's not true," Vermon said. "Grandma says it's not true. Why don't you tell me the truth?"

Her mother puts the cutting board down then examined her daughter. Any trace of a smiled disappeared from her mother's face. The reason the church had discussed death was due to the passing of Vermon's grandmother. Ignoring her mother's silence, she ran out into the backyard with an unbrella and her sandles. Vermon kneeled down and placed her hand over the clump of dirt. She giggled.

A gust of wind danced through Vermon's hair. "What's so funny?" her grandmother's voice asked.

"Every time I touch the dirt it tickles my hand and eyes," Vermon replied.

Another gust of wind came. "You're so silly. Did you go to church today?"

"Yes. We talked about death. David said when people die they go to hell or heaven. But you're still here."

There was no gust of the wind as Vermon waited for a reply. "Nana?" she said. Still no reply. "Okay, talk to you later," she said then ran into the house.