Chapter 12: I'm in the Graveyard

Vermon woke up the next day with a throbbing head. It hurt so much she could hardly get out of bed. She called her mother's name but that made her head ache even more. Her head felt heavy and like it would explode at any minute. Her mother walked in and gasped when she saw Vermon.

"What's wrong with you eyes?" Jacqueline asked.

"What?" Vermon asked.

Her mother got closer look. "Your eyes are gray!"

"I didn't know they changed colors," Vermon said. She had to close her eyes. "My head hurts."

"I'll make you some peppermint tea." her mother said. "We can't have you sick. There are people lined up at the church wanting to see you." She walked out of the room.

While her mother put the fire on for the kettle, Vermon's door slowly began closing. Vermon raised an eyebrow. When the door fully shut closed, she began hearing wailing noises around her room. Her light flickered, her dressers rattled, and her bed shook slightly. She was about to call her mother's name when she heard a hoarse whisper in the air.

"Vermon, I'm in the graveyard." the voice said.

Suddenly, everything that was shaking had stopped. Her mother walked in. "Why did you close the door?"

"I didn't," Vermon said.

"Keep it open, tea's almost done." she said.