The courthouse riot

The square was packed hours before the announcement. Many of the townsfolk were up on the roofs or hanging out windows. Any space with a view of the hanging tree was occupied with a menace. Meaning a swift kick in the shin for anyone getting too close. Well, no one wanted to miss the swift mob-led hanging, that was expected as soon someone heard the word guilty.

"Looks like Bres has prepared for trouble," Earl told Charlene from the door of the marshal's office. "The shutters on the courthouse are closed up tight, like he's expecting a storm."

"Wha' da'ya think it means?"

"If I was a betting man, I'd say it might be good news for Herschel."

"Ya know, Ms Skvosip's seats were empty yesterday."

"Yup, I saw," he drawled.

"She must've been in the back with Patrick, pulling Bres' greedy little strings, don't ya think?"

"Could be." He came over and gave her a supportive pat on the head.

At noon sharp, they were both standing halfway up the steps to the courthouse. In front of them were some of the largest men Charlie'd ever seen. Rascal was oblivious to proceedings, and was booping Herschel with her nose begging for pets.

"These aren't even bailiffs, they're just blaggards," Earl whispered.

He recognised them as the kind of scumbags who'd break someone's legs for a half-pint. The worst Agalaland had to offer on long or short notice. M.C and his bunch were above them, in positions to surround Bres. With everyone in place, the judge slinked out of the courthouse. He looked smaller, diminished somehow. Not only because he had to stand several steps above the bailiffs to be seen.

Anxiously, he read out the charges. When at last he came to the verdict, he took a good long pause. "We, the court, find the accused... guilty."

The square erupted. If it wasn't for the blaggards holding people back Herschel wouldn't have had long left on Huom. Bres was waving his short arms, trying to get the mob's attention. After a while he gave up and started shouting as loud as he could. But only the closest few rows could hear him.

"We find the accused guilty, but only on the charge of being a chicken-stealer. We sentence him to time served, and a year of community service!"

Over and over he repeated the verdict. But his body language, and his use of the lowly we, screamed that he had nothing to do with this.

It took a while for the news to ripple through the crowd. But eventually as the square turned to stunned silence. Bres repeated it one last time for all to hear. As one the crowd surged forward. Even those who wanted out had no choice, any more than a drop could choose to be part of the river. Bres stumbled back into the courthouse with his hands raised in surrender.

"I know justice shouldn't be about entertainment, but this I like," Earl yelled to her over the roaring crowd.

The young men in the front rows, and the hired goons, were already enjoying themselves. There hadn't been a fight on this scale in years. Even watching was risky. Anyone within reach was fair game and would get a work boot to the groin, or a giant fist to the nose. This went on for half an hour, until all the fight was beaten out of the less experienced crowd. Once they accepted there wasn't going to be a hanging, they took to drink for comfort.

The rest of the market week went ahead as normal, except with more cuts and bruises. Also, Bres wasn't seen outside even once. Still, once people had a few days to talk about it, and calm down, they agreed that missing the hanging wasn't that big a deal.

The catastrophic success of the courthouse riot had made this the best Hein-day celebration in years. And there was still the market to limp around and enjoy. Even so, Earl figured it was best to keep Herschel locked up until the visitors were gone. Rascal kept guard as always. She was as effective at keeping people away as any number of thugs. Charlie made sure to bring her a new rock every day. It was the least she could do to keep their good girl happy.

The day after the market ended, Charlene and Herschel took an evening stroll down to the river and no one bothered them.

"So, community service? Haw's tha' gonna work? Ya can't do anything but talk," she teased.

"I'm sure it will be alright; this seems like a place that rewards incompetence"

She was almost insulted before she realised he was only returning what she started.

"Ah, of course ya're right, ya'll fit in jus' fine," she countered, and Herschel smiled raising a quizzical eyebrow at her.

Happiness hit Charlene like a stampede of Boolenyn. Neither of them said it, but it was obvious that Herschel'd made the choice to stay in Stagna. Even after his community service.

Updated: 17.09.2023