Good times ain't cheap

The first day of Herschel's trial had arrived. Charlie was hopeful and a tad annoyed. She couldn't get Herschel to stop speaking in riddles, and it made him sound like a know-it-all. That and the fact that he was looking healthier every day, he wasn't winning any pity points.

"Lets just hope he won't need them," she whispered thinking about Ms Skvosip's promise.

Standing outside the cell, arms crossed and tapping a foot, she watched him through the bars. He was doing some mad one-legged pose that she could only describe as agony. His testimony would be a mess. But at least he wouldn't have to take the participation stand until the third day. By then Ms Skvosip should've perverted the course of injustice. But Charlie couldn't help worrying.

Earl came in and leaned against the frame of the open door, pretending he wasn't trying to hurry them. They'd stopped locking the cell, there was no reason to think Herschel would escape. And after the meeting with the ladyship, he promised he wouldn't.

Da looked over his shoulder at her as if asking 'is he ready?' She shrugged back 'why don't you ask him yourself'.

"You ready to go?" Earl adjusted his hat in his typical manner.

"Would it change anything if I said no?" Herschel answered without opening his eyes.

"Not really."

"Then I suppose I'm ready."

Rascal gave a happy high-pitched bark as they lined up behind the front door.

"Das she t'ink we're goin' for a walk," Fannie asked.

"Well, technically we are, even if it's a short walk to a long rope," Herschel joked, but no one laughed.

Standing behind him, Charlene wanted to reach up and stroke his black hair but Fannie would've seen. The square was packed with folk from every corner of human-occupied Agalaland. Even from as far away as Dehob in Ruger. The power of the gawk as they came out of was something to behold. Everyone trying to catch a glimpse of the wicked p-word, but no one dared to come up on the sturdy wooden porch.

"Ya could've worn a hat at least this once," she hissed at Herschel's back.

Charlene'd never considered it before meeting Herschel, but Agalians were touchy when it came to their own ignorance. Even she felt Herschel'd been talking down to her at first.

Without command, Rascal traipsed into the throng clearing a wide passage. Looking like you knew where you were going wasn't the only way to get people to move. The threat of loosing a limb worked even better. A few meters from the porch, she plopped down with her sand-papery tongue hanging out. Apparently waiting for them to follow, but nothing happened.

"Wha's the hold up?" Looking at Da, Charlene traced his stare back to a white-haired man in the throng.

"We should be getting hazard pay for this," Earl said.

"Ya should've asked, wouldn't matter nun to Bres, ya ken, he'd jus' raise the ticket price, and take double yar 'azard pay for 'imself."

Charlene could tell Da hadn't heard a word Fannie said. Giving the slim stranger a stern nod, Earl started after Rascal towards the courthouse. Only now she noticed that Herschel's eyes were also drawn to the man with the wrinkly face.

Earl stayed right behind Herschel, protecting his back and moving him along with a hand on his shoulder. Any frontal assault would have to go through Rascal. Fannie and Charlie brought up the rear, and as soon as they passed the crowd closed ranks behind them. She knew many of these faces, and some were friends. Even so, in mob-form they were intimidating.

The Last PhilosopherOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara