Chapter 4

3rd Person POV

Everest drove with a sense of disbelief. Kieran lived there? He didn't even know anyone at his school who lived on the West side of town. He knew Kieran didn't live near himself but he didn't think he lived there. The West side of town was a bad place. It consisted of gang members, drug dealers, illegals, and the rest was just elderly people who refused to leave their once "great" neighborhood. The West side of town was once the busiest part of town, besides the farmlands. It was full of life and money. But now it was just filled with drugs and abandoned buildings.

He had met Kieran's mother at the hospital. She seemed tired and worn. Her eyes held bags underneath them, her face seemed aged beyond its years. Everest's family insisted they paid for the hospital bills. But she refused the offer. She didn't press charges. And she refused to let their local newspaper cover it. At first, this had confused Everest, it had relieved his parents. But now he understood: She simply couldn't afford to press charges. But, how could she afford the medical bills?

***

Kieran looked up at the sign that read "Wilkinson's Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center". This was it. He was here, about to enter those old oak doors and visit his sister. He hadn't been in so long. Not that she'd realise but he did. He missed Katy. Well, the old Katy. The one he used to laugh with, the one who practically took care of him. His older sister. The one he looked up to. But, that Katy was gone. Now all that was left of her was a woman in a wheelchair. Unable to perform coherent sentences, unable to walk on her own, unable to eat on her own, unable to be on her own. She was 21. Today was her birthday. He had forgotten until his mother had reminded him. Too bad she wouldn't be able to celebrate.

You see, when Katy was around 12 years old, their father hit her way too hard. She ended up with brain damage and he ended up in prison. At first, after the accident, their mother thought she could take care of her. And she did for a few months. But as Katy got worse, and the bills got higher, Kieran's mother could no longer provide for her. So, they sent her to Wilkinson's. It wasn't a bad place. They took care of her well. She always got fed and always got her medicine. She always had her physical therapy and baths. And most of all, their health insurance covered it.

They signed in, Kieran's mother signing his name for him on the white sheet of paper. He hobbled through the doors, his mother holding one open for him, and began the familiar trek to his sisters room. Wilkinson's was huge, It stood five stories high, with over 300 hundred housing units, four dining spaces, a trail outside next to a little visitors park, and a tennis court. It was a luxury here, unless you suffer from mass brain damage and can't move.

He soon found himself at the end of the first floor housing unit. The sign above him read "Room 107". He sighed, preparing himself. This was Katy's room. He looked back at his mother who smiled softly towards him, stepping in front of Kieran, she opened the door. The smell of body odor, antiseptic fluids, and soap tugged and Kieran's scenes. It made him feel like he was in the hospital again, but this smell was much worse. He walked forward and soon his sister's bed came into sight, her long brown hair falling in tangles around her as she slept. Her skin was olive, but at the same time looked like it lacked a significant amount of color. She looked old. And sick. Her head was always in a helmet except for when she is sleeping, her body conformed to restraints and deformity. She wasn't the kind hearted, beautiful sister he had grown up with. Not anymore.

The drugs had now all worn off from Kieran, he was fully awake, and he felt sick. Seeing his sister in this condition, it always messed him up. He quickly excused himself, tears pricking at his eyes as he made his way outside, lighting a cigarette and quickly smoking it to its filter. This was always too much for him.