Introduction: Welcome To Silverkey Crossing

Hey there, you look new.  You also look lost.

Name's Denny Aldefer.

Most folks who come this way don't mean to.  Let me tell you - you don't look like the type to go looking for trouble - but unless you turn around and find an alternate route, you might have more of it than you bargained for. Or you might not. 

Depends. 

Depends on whether you keep going straight through or stop to get something.  Depends on what you stop to get and where.  Depends on what you allow to distract you while you're getting something. Depends on who you talk to and how closely you listen to what they say.   The white rabbit that led Alice down a deep dark hole?  Yeah, we got lots of those. 

Which one? 
Both.  Heh. 

White rabbits and deep dark holes.  Lots of things that could distract you and get your curiosity up and lead you into someplace very dark and very deep with no way of getting out.  I've lived here a while, so I know what I'm talking about.  How come I never leave?  The short answer is I'm not allowed to. The longer answer would keep you here all day and all night. 

And I'm not allowed to tell you the longer answer.

This is Silverkey Crossing.  Just about as Small Town USA as it comes.  We have our stories to tell, but there's plenty that will never be told.  The people to do the telling are either gone or covering their tracks - or they don't have a mind left fit to tell anything.  That doesn't let the people that would listen off the hook neither.  Things have a way of happening to them when they know too much.

What's that?  Drugs?  Mafia?  Gangs?

You made my day.

I really wish it were those things,  my friend.  I really do.  Drugs can be confiscated, the Mafia can be avoided,  Gangbangers can be arrested.  Or shot.  Silverkey has things that all the running, arresting, and shooting won't do nothing for in a million years.  Sometimes it seems like it's the town itself. 

Sun's starting to sink, stranger.  You like to ask questions.  That a virtue everywhere else but here.  Best be along.  If you drive through, keep your eyes on the road.  The town is always looking to draw in a few more.

Don't worry about what I mean.  Please.  Safe travels.  Welcome to Silverkey Crossing.