Little Sister - Part VI

The Cuckoo Clock put William Dougherty in the hospital.

The gossip tindered among the students as soon as paramedics identified the boy and filed a report with police.  

Principal Masterson leaned on his desk and studied the meek, dark eyes of the youth that claimed responsibility for Will's misfortune.  An overweight officer stood beside him with folded arms.

"And then what happened?"

"I r-ran up to th-th-them.  W-Will was trying to get his hands.. his hands in h-her p-pants.  Trying t-to get her to b-b-be quiet."

"And then?"

Will made f-fun of me."

"Go on."

Aiden shook his head.  "I hit him."

"How many times?"

"Once I th-think."

"You think?"

"Twice maybe? I don't remember.  I was really m-mad."

The officer stepped forward, a man with a mustache so thick you couldn't tell if he was frowning or not.  

"Mr. Dougherty's jaw wasn't just dislocated.  It was fractured in three places around the chin.  And he sustained multiple concussions. You don't carry brass knuckles on you or anything?"

"I don't unders-s-s-tand."

"He's saying you shattered his jaw and quite possibly cracked his skull.  He still hasn't fully regained consciousness," came the principal's effeminate voice.

Aiden's hands shook as he fidgeted with a fingernail.

"I just wanted t-to p-p-protect S-Sally."

The principal stood up and straightened his sport coat.  "That's good and well, Mr. Keller, but Mr. Dougherty hasn't woken up yet, so we don't know what his side of the story is, and you and Miss Baker are the only witnesses so far.  His doctor says he isn't going to be at school for a while.  And neither are you.  As of this moment you're suspended for a week.  If Mr. Dougherty's account makes you look worse, you'll be suspended even longer.  Officer Nielsen here will see to getting your things and escort you off the premises."

At Aiden's locker, Kurt Nielsen looked over the slender young man that loaded up his backpack with shivering hands.  He looked at the few students in the hall.  They all threw furtive glances at Aiden.  In his very brief time handling the incident, Kurt had already heard hushed voices saying that 'The Cuckoo Clock' picked up William Dougherty and broke him like an egg.  His time in the insane asylum made him super strong.  Or something like that.  Dougherty's name came up more than once at the police station.  This kid? Kurt never heard of him.  On any average day, he never thought he would.  His arms stayed crossed, but he tilted his head.

"Got anything else to say before I take you home, Mr. Keller?"

"N-no, sir."

"You don't seem like an awful guy to me."

Aiden wasn't sure what to do with that.

"I j-just wanted S-Sally to b-b-be okay."

Kurt looked around.

"You got a house key?"

"Y-yes, sir."

"Alright.  Let's go.  We'll be calling your folks as soon as we talk with Mr. Dougherty's folks."

Aiden swallowed hard.

"Is he gonna b-be okay?"

Kurt sighed.