Chapter Thirty Six

"Challenge the alpha."

I stare at Ashley in confusion. Challenge Jay? How should I do that?

Ashley notices my confusion. "Challenge Jay in a life or death match, if the prophecy is true, it will mean Jay nor you, will actually die. Jay will stop the battle before you can die and his demon will be set free. That is if the prophecy is true." 

I become mortified. I have to risk my life to see if a prophecy is true? To free Jay which might not actually happen. This can't be happening. "There has to be another way." I say while shaking my head vigorously.

Ashley smiles sympathetically at me. "Sadly, there isn't. You are to challenge Jay and fight him. It is the only way to break the curse, that is what the prophecy says." 

I scoff and cross my arms over my chest. "So I am supposed to risk my life for this prophecy that could not be true? Why would I do that?" 

"To save him, and the others." Ashley says bluntly. 

I think it over. The pack needs a leader, a leader that isn't all about war, and spilling blood of people who should be allies. Jay needs to be the leader that he was destined for. Can I really risk my life for this? Is it worth it?

"What do I do?" I asked determinedly.

Ashley smiles proudly at me. ''You make a game, and make him the star player, much like he did to you. Then, at the end challenge him."

"Challenge the alpha at his own game?" I wondered out loud.

"Exactly. You make him infuriated with you, and then you challenge him." 

     I follow Ashley's instructions. For days, I grow cold with Jay. When he asked me what Ashley said I lied and said she wouldn't tell me anything. It hurt a little to lie to my mate, but I had to for his sake and mine and the packs. I needed to save everyone, their fates rest in my palms and one wrong move could be the end. 

Jay grew angrier and angrier with me as I caused little arguments between us. I knew this wouldn't take too long until he was raging.

     Two weeks go by and Jay and I's relationship is sunken to the bottom of the sea. We can no longer be in the same room together without causing an argument. This was supposed to be an act but now it's not. It's getting harder and harder to keep this up. The mate-bond keeps weakening daily and although I should be grateful that it is, I'm not. 

Ella is more frightened and jumpy around people. It kills me that she has to suffer through this, but it's the only way. I can't trust her not to tell Jay.

     "How is it going?" Ashley asked eagerly. Ashley and I have been meeting up every other day under the basement, in a special room that is used for heavy interrogations. 

"I think it's time. He is snapping at everyone and everything." I said truthfully. Jay no longer has any sort of reign on his demon of a beast. He needs this now more than ever.

"Than go at once, challenge him in a public area, make sure other people hear it." Ashley urges desperately.

"I will." I say as I nod.

I turn to walk out of the special room but stop when I hear Ashley's voice. "Emma, please win. Also, remember that it is possible to love a beast, even the darkest ones."

I turn and smile at her. "Oh trust me, I have every intention of putting that alpha in his place, and when I do and he realizes I am an alpha as well, than maybe I can love a beast."