Chapter 4

HAPPY NEW YEAR LOVES!
Tell me what you think :)

____

"I never it," Jason smiled smugly as he pointed a finger at me. "You know, I'm never wrong,"

I bit my tongue in annoyance at the fact that I had essentially blown my cover. If I had just pretended to not know what he was talking about, I could have prevented this situation from becoming a lot worse than it already was. I guess it was too late to keep denying it now, I'd just have to accept the fact that he knew parts of the truth. To stop him from finding out the whole truth, I had to act how I thought any basic with would.

"You should know not to piss off a witch," I hissed back, getting defensive really quickly.

I didn't like people knowing about me, it always resulted in me having to pack up and leave as fast as I could and I quite liked the life I had built with my shop.

"You're human... so how did you see through my spell?"

That had never happened before. Magic was only identifiable by those that had magic running through them, whether it was that they were cursed with magic to become vampires or werewolves, or were witches themselves. But humans... no, they could never see magic. It was impossible. It didn't make sense.

"You didn't really put much effort into your spell," he snorted as he walked around the counter and sat down on the plastic stool that was behind it. "Plus, the magic from it was fading fast. I guess you're not as good as they say you are."

"Huh...You've heard about me?" I asked, taken aback.

"Had heard you were the best witch in town, guess they were wrong."

I rolled my eyes, "believe me, I'm a lot better than they say."

"Doesn't seem like it, that spell was weak. You don't even need to be a witch to spot it."

"Sweetie, I don't need you to teach me how to cast a spell in my own shop. You're clearly not a regular ol' human and you're not a witch either. So tell me, what are you?"

"Can I just get the things that I need?" Jason asked, completely ignoring my question.

"You answer my question and I'll answer yours," I shot back.

"Can't answer yours," he brought a finger to his lips and winked.

So it was a secret?

"Then I won't give you your things," I said with a simple shake of my head and the sweetest smile that I could muster.

"You're not a vampire, or you probably would have tried to suck my blood or something stupid by now..." I thought out loud, taping my chin as I listed off the various supernatural's that he couldn't possibly be.

He threw his head back and let out a deep laugh, placing the list from earlier on top of the register. "I just need a few things and then I'll leave. You don't need to be so difficult."

He cocked his head to the side as he leant against the wall behind him and placed his hands behind his head. "Allison, I've been very polite towards you and all I ask is for a few items that aren't really worth much to you. Don't make me have to be rude to a lady."

"Jason," I said sweetly. "I've been very nice to you. Now, I could be a lot worse."

Through the glass counter I could see my own reflection. In my anger my eyes had turned completely white with green and blue flames replacing my once blue iris.

"That's pretty cool," he pointed to my eyes calmly. "Bit dramatic though don't you think?"

"Considering how you won't leave, I don't think so, no."

"Well, I mean, you've kind of locked me in. I couldn't leave if I wanted to," he said, throwing his arms up with a shrug.

I clicked my fingers, opening the doors I had closed with magic earlier. "Feel free to leave anytime."

"Just give me the fucking ingredients," he said with a sigh as he stood up off the stool and cocked his head towards his list.

"We're closed, bye now."

I watched as Jason locked his jaw, grinding his teeth together. Part of me hoped that he would lose his cool and lash out at me. I hadn't had an incident since Raul's visit and to be honest, I was itching to use my magic for something other than basic spells and my research.

My fingers twitched beside me in anticipation as I waited for Jason's reaction, tiny sparks of energy flickering out from under my nails.

I noticed his gaze lower to my hands before shifting back up as he continued to stare me down. I was impressed though, he was pretty fucking stupid, but he did have a lot of courage.

"I need the ingredients," he persisted, his voice cracking in desperation.

I grabbed the list from him and read over it again racking my brain for what use he could possibly have for them. "Why?" I asked unable to think of a single potion or spell that would require the combination on his list.

"Will you give them if I tell you?" He seemed to contemplate whether or not he should tell me the reason for a very long time.

Getting impatient with this whole conversation I decided to speed things up a little bit, something I probably should have done from the start.

"Veritas," I whispered with a quick flick of my wrist as I kept his eyes locked with mine.

I waited for his eyelids to grow heavier and his gaze to become clouded before I asked him the question I was dying to know the answer to.

"What are you, Jason?" I asked monotonously.

"I'm a Hunter," he blurted out.

My eyebrows furrowed together in interest. "A Hunter... What do you hunt?"

"Supernaturals," he blurted again with wide eyes that seemed to emote the question he wanted to ask. He didn't know what was happening to him.

"Sorry, you were taking too long so I just used a truth spell," I confessed feeling slightly guilty. "What do you hunt? Vampires?"

"Yes and-" he quickly covered his mouth with his hands in a feeble attempt at stopping himself from saying anything else.

I narrowed my eyes, "what else do you hunt, Jason?"

"...Animals," he said almost hesitantly.

Part of me questioned his honesty. I was always good at telling when people were lying, it was like a sixth sense and right now, that sixth sense was making me question my magics effectiveness.

Had my truth spell not worked on him? No! No way, he was blurting the answers out.

"What do you need the ingredients for?"

"To poison my blood."

"what?"

"I need to drink a potion that's made with those ingredients. When a vampire drinks from me, they'll die."

"I've never heard of a potion that can do that without killing the person that drinks it. Besides, you're human," I pointed out. "How do you know how to make a potion let alone one that is so specific that I haven't even heard of?"

Jason shook his head as he seemed to struggle to stop himself from speaking.

"How do you know how to make a potion like that, Jason?" I repeated slower.

"I'm-" He bit his lips so hard that they started to bleed. He was trying to fight to my spell.

"Tell me how!"

"I'm part of The Circle," He said through pain.

My breath caught in my throat, I hadn't heard that word in decades. I took as a hesitant step closer to him, my body tense. Warning him not to move, I slowly lifted up his shirt, hoping he wasn't a part of what I thought.

I flinched back as though I had been burned. "Ouroboros," I whispered, my voice laced in fear.