03 | diego

A / N

Many apologies for the delay, guys, I had a very busy couple of days! I know I promised a once-every-five-days update, but try not to pin your hopes on that. If you've been a long-time reader of mine, you'll know that while writing is a priority, Wattpad itself isn't. There's no pressure on my end  since I've several chapters in stock anyway, but don't literally wait for me to update. There are better and more important things to do with your time. You guys get what I'm saying, right? As much as I adore all of you readers, I don't want you guys to waste your precious time waiting for updates or losing sleep by staying up all night to read my work. It's hardly worth it.

Anyway, enjoy and happy reading!

x noelle

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

0 3

d i e g o

IT TURNED OUT that living with a wolf wasn't the worst thing in the world.

Quite the opposite, in fact.

When Brooke stepped out of the shower with a ratty old bathrobe wrapped around her, she was more than surprised to see Argos and Diego exactly where she'd left them earlier – on the carpet in the living room. Argos had now climbed to his feet, tail wagging eagerly as he bounded around the wolf in a clear indication that he wanted to play. But Diego was simply staring down at her dog with an overall air of boredom, twisting his tail aside every time Argos tried to pounce on it.

Diego looked so unimpressed by her dog that Brooke couldn't stop the amused smile that broke across her face.

Leaving both canines in the living room, she headed into the kitchen to get her usual pot of coffee brewed. She was in the midst of setting the kettle on to boil when she heard a faint rustle behind her. Glancing over her shoulder, her eyes widened when she realised that Diego had limped into the kitchen after her. So had Argos, who'd clearly taken a liking to the wolf and was adamant on going wherever the other went.

"Hungry?" She smiled at Diego, who stared fixedly at her and made no attempt to leave. Stepping over to the fridge, she located a chunk of frozen meat and stuck it into a bowl of water to defrost. She'd been originally saving that for pasta later with her Dad, but better to feed the hungry animal than have the hungry animal eat you. "Of course you are. But this'll take awhile to defrost."

In between waiting for the chicken to defrost, Brooke poured a generous amount of kibble in Argos's food bowl, before starting on her own breakfast. By the time she was done, the chicken was defrosted and she gingerly set it down in a large bowl, watching with fixed fascination as Diego tore into it almost immediately.

"Argos – " she started warningly, lowering her coffee mug down onto the table when she saw her dog sneakily head over to Diego. It was never a good idea to sneak up on a wild animal when they were eating, much less attempt to steal their food – which was what her dog attempted to do next. " – don't do that! I raised you better than this. Don't – "

But her warning wasn't even necessary. Because the next moment, a sharp growl from Diego and a lazy but threatening snap of his jaw sent Argos fleeing back across the kitchen to take shelter between her legs.

She almost spat out her coffee in an effort to constrain her laughter. "See?" She shook her head with mirth as she gazed down at a whimpering Argos. "I told you not to do that. If you want raw meat, I'll stop by the grocer's to buy some later."