14

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: THE OTHER SIDE.

" I don't wanna know what is like to live without you. "

____

ARABELLE

"The Seelies have stopped communicating with the Clave and won't explain why." Maryse says, walking around us, and by Izzy's face i could tell that she didn't know anything about what Maryse was saying. "My guess is they're still upset we asked them to send scouts to look for Valentine, but no one in their realm will talk."

How wouldn't they be upset? if you're bossing them around as if they were slaves.

"I have Seelie friends." Isabelle says, standing straighter and clearing her throat.

"Yes, i know about your friends." Maryse says condescendingly, which doesn't surprise me and she stands right in front of Izzy with that superior look of hers. "Isabelle, we stay separated from the Downworld for good reasons. The wrong move, the wrong word, do you think there is such a thing as harmless rebellion? Who knows what offends these creatures? Maybe you told him --them something they shouldn't know." She scolds and i raise my eyebrow frowning.
" Maybe you trod on one of their ridiculous customs without knowing it."

"Wait, wait." I say shaking my head and Maryse looks at me. "You can't be seriously laying it all on Izzy just because she has a friend in the Downworld." I say sternly with my arms crossed over my chest, and then she stands in front of me -- very very close.

"When someone upsets the natural order, everything falls apart." She tells me.

"Downworlder or not, we are all the same. There's no natural order--."

"Belle..." Alec says in a warning tone and i huff before shutting up.

"I can help." Isabelle says and we look at her. "I know how to talk to Seelies."

"She's right." Alec interrupts, his hands behind him and standing straight like Maryse thought him to. "She can visit with Meliorn and see what he knows." Alec tells her but by the looks of it, Maryse wouldn't give up with her. "I can go with her if you want." Alec offers but Maryse half smiles before laying a hand on Jace's shoulder.

"I'd rather if Jace goes along this time." She says and we all raise an eyebrow confused, even Jace was.

"Alec, you stay with the Fairchild girl." Maryse raises her voice. "I want her under control. She's caused enough trouble already." She looks up and down at Clary, and she opens her mouth, only something did came out of her mouth.

"Maybe that's because I wasn't even a Shadowhunter until a few days ago!." Clary defends herself, only she didn't know that no one could win an argument against Maryse.

"And what an exciting few days it has been." Maryse says sternly before glancing at Alec, Isabelle and me. "The Clave counts on us Lightwoods to maintain order here."

I can see how Alec's jaw clenches and he stiffens up, oh no.

"You don't need to tell me that. If the mission is important to the Clave, I would prefer to be the one who goes with Isabelle." He states, glancing at Jace who only looks at me.

"You're all so eager to do what you would prefer." Maryse says almost sarcastically.
"It's time to face the truth. Life is not about what you want to do, it's about what must be done." She states sternly and i gulp down. "I have given you your assignments, now carry them out. " She finishes, thank god. "You and you, with me, now." She raises her voice pointing at Jace and Isabelle before walking away, i bite my lip and Jace glances at me, he seems hesitant about somethi-.