Chapter III

[Original story formerly published in paper by the Star Trek Italian Club, which graciously granted permission to publish it digitally. Cover and drawings by Chiara Falchini.]

]

Chapter III

Deanna looked around, ecstatic.

"It's wonderful, Viviana", she declared, "It reminds me of Betazed's woods."

"It reminds me instead of Normandy's forests", said Riker. Data, even if maintaining his usual neutral face, gave the clear impression to be frowning:

"To be precise, ladies, sir, in this wood I am able to distinguish five varieties of Terrestrial plants, eight Betazoids, seven Andorians, five Klingon...", catching the impatient glances of the other ones he cut it off, "I mean, it is a contradiction."

Vivian chuckled:

"Objectively you're right, Data", she admitted with no difficulty, "however, my aim isn't to reproduce a surrounding in a realistic way, but to evoke a sense of familiarity and atavism. The plants we see belong all to planets at least one of us visited; if among us there would be a Vulcan, the program would create also plants from Vulcan, for a Deltan, plants from Delta, and so on, more or less at equal climatic conditions."

A gigantic Andorian squirrel crossed bouncing the clearing opening in front of them, stopped for a moment to smell the air, then disappeared among the trees on the other side.

"Same for the animals", Viviana added, "to which some fantastic creatures have been added, but I won't anticipate anything in order not to spoil the surprise for you."

They set forth through the clearing; the sun was lukewarm and the air smelled good, and the brook, flowing on the western side of the wood meadow, murmured its unchangeable song.

Deanna plunged one hand in the water and retrieved it dripping.

"It's unbelievable!", she cried, "Not only I see the drops, but I feel my skin like wet. It's extraordinarily realistic."

Riker did the same, then he took a sip.

"Hey, it really has the taste of water", he stated, marvelled. Data intervened:

"Sir, I must point out that water has no taste."

Riker smiled:

"On the contrary, my friend. Sometimes it has the sweetest of tastes."

Again, perplexity passed on the android's face.

"I give you an example: you are in the middle of a completely arid desert, about to die out of thirst, then you find a spring and drink your fill", Riker tried to explain, "In that moment, I assure you that water, as flavourless it is, would seem to you more exquisite than any nectar."