Chapter IX

[Original story formerly published in paper by the Star Trek Italian Club, which graciously granted permission to publish it digitally. Cover and drawings by Chiara Falchini.]

]

Chapter IX

The ledge Riker, Data and Deanna were marching on, at a certain point began to lower towards the valley-bottom and the river, which had become considerably wider. Looking down, Data's sharp eyes spotted two shapes walking side by side along the shore, going in their same direction: by the garment colours of one of the two, he deduced correctly that they were Viviana and her mysterious rescuer.

"There they are", he announced, pointing toward them. Riker and Deanna examined the landscape, but saw only two dark dots; however, they took the android's statement as granted. They moved faster, and soon enough they were at earshot distance.

"Viviana!", Riker called, "We're here!"

The two shapes turned at the same time, and the smaller raised an arm in a salutation gesture. Soon after, Viviana was running towards them, followed in a calmer way by a very tall warrior in a dark outfit, whose face was concealed under a black mask. Deanna felt struck.

"Will!", Viviana cried, throwing her arms around her friend's neck and hugging him strongly; then she hugged also Deanna, and even the composed Data, who reciprocated with a certain awkwardness.

"Are you okay?", Riker enquired immediately, "You're clothes are in a bad shape..."

Viviana laughed:

"And what did you expect, after a skid downhill and a dive in a river? But I'm fine, thanks... because of him, that is", she turned toward the masked warrior and gestured him to come closer, "Bryan, these are the friends I told you about", she began then to introduce them formally, "Lord Riker, knight; Lady Deanna, sorceress; Master Data, hunter. Friends, this is Sir Bryan Darksword, swordsman of the No Face Clan, that's the reason he wears a mask."

"I'm honoured to meet you, Milady, Milord, Master Data", Bryan stated, addressing to each of them a slight bow; then he kissed Deanna's hand, at which she smiled evidently flattered, and shook hands with Riker – Viviana could ascertain they were of the same height – and with Data.

"Our pleasure, Sir Bryan", Deanna declared, "We are grateful to you for the help you gave to Sister Viviana."

Bryan glanced at her, surprised:

"How can you... oh, right, you're a sorceress", he turned his head to look at Viviana, "I only did my duty."

Because he was a holographic character, hence something not real, Deanna couldn't read him empathically, but she was a psychologist, and even a very good one, therefore, despite the mask hiding his face, by the tone of his voice and by his whole demeanour, she could tell that Bryan was attracted by Viviana. She felt puzzled, because she hadn't known that the game contemplated romantic situations.