Chapter 28

My mind was muddled and murky. I couldn't recall the faintest bit of my memories, or anything else that would come in handy.

The really, really bad part was that I wasn't sure if I could trust anything I thought had happened. I couldn't even be sure if what I was going through now was actually happening.

I was running down an empty lab hallway with nothing on but a paper nightgown. I was in a hospital of some sort.

That doesn't explain the weird tank, though, I thought.

I was comforted in knowing that my brain wasn't giving me excuses for everything that seemed wrong anymore. That part, I didn't get. What was going on with me? How could I even distinguish between what happened in my head and what happened in the outside world?

I barely remembered Blink's words. Listen for the buzzing, I thought. But I heard none over the clomping of my bare feet on the tile.

The scariest thing I was thinking was that everyone was gone. I didn't have anyone. Even my powers, in addition to the two voices that occupied my head, were gone.

Shouts were coming in from behind me. I chanced a look over my shoulder.

Black clad men with heavy-duty shields and batons were catching up with me. All of them were yelling at me to stop.

Why would I do that? They looked like they were here for security, not quietly taking me in. I didn't trust anyone with a weapon.

After rounding a bend, a set of double doors appeared at the end of a hallway.

Unfortunately, the moment I saw those doors was also the moment the first guard grabbed my shoulder.

He latched onto the thin sheet covering me and pulled hard. He did not get what he wanted.

The whole nightgown ripped from my body. Under it, I was wearing underwear- Fruit of the Loom. I laughed quietly to myself, while the man tripped and fell. The resistance he was fighting against was suddenly gone. He slowed down his comrades behind him.

That was all I needed. I ran headfirst into the doors.

They opened easily, and after stumbling for a step, I ran even faster. Hope filled within me.

I was outside. Sunlight touched my skin. I loved it, not knowing how cold I had been.

Then, I almost got run over by a car.

I waved wildly in front of it. It stopped a couple of inches before it would've hit me.

"Help me!" I shouted.

The man inside the car honked his horn. I ran to the side of the car and knocked on his window.

The soldiers were almost upon us.

The man rolled down his window. "What the hell are you doing?" he asked.

"Please!" I said, exasperated. "They're trying to kill me!"

He looked out of the other side of the car. The soldiers were emerging from the building. He also saw their FBI logos.

He looked at me again. Something must have told him to help me.