Chapter 35

All that had happened remained in the forefront of my mind, and a burning question was etching itself across my thoughts.

Who was I?

In the time I'd had since I woke up, I had moved on assuming that I was the same Jay I was now. But Jake said I went on missions with him and our "team," which included Sage. Did I work for the government like him? Why would I betray him and the others if I did?

Sage was one of the only people I knew who could tell me. She was withholding information from me this whole time.

When Dan touched us down a little ways from the facility, I expected to see the other escapees waiting for us. But they were out of sight.

"It should be here," Dan said.

"There's nothing here but grass, trees, and rocks," I said. "What are you looking for?"

"A portal," he explained. "Your dad forced one of the other metas to open one for us to escape through. He was supposed to keep it open, but something must have happened."

"Don't call him my dad," I said reflexively.

"Okay..." he backed off.

"Sorry, it was just a habit," I apologized. "Everything I think I know about him isn't true. I have to keep remembering that."

"What do you mean?"

I had to remember that since Dan hadn't been with me on my misadventures, he wouldn't know anything about Dad pitting the whole town agains me.

"Don't worry about it." I promised to explain to him later.

"While we're here, can I ask you a question?" I said.

"You just did," he said.

I stared at him.

"Shoot," he said.

"Why did you pretend you didn't know you had powers?"

He looked up from the ground at this, frowning. "I didn't know I could fly."

"That's a lie," I said. "You flew here perfectly, without even breaking a sweat or losing control. The truth?"

"We all have our talents. Mine just happens to be my special power," he said.

I knew he was lying; he couldn't have powers without knowing. They didn't work that way. But I let it go this time.

"Do you have any idea which direction they were headed?" I asked.

"Even better: I know where they are."

"Then tell me."

"They went to a diner a couple of blocks from your house. I don't know what it's called, but your father told me that much."

"I think I know what you're talking about. I'm going to go ahead and see if I can check on them." If my house was the same here, it was probably safe to assume that the place I was thinking of was as well.

"But I won't know where to go," he said.

He caught me with that. I would advise him to stay in place, but that might be dangerous. Anyone could find him.

It dawned on me that he was probably captured on the way to the hospital. And here I was thinking he abandoned me.

"Go to the hospital we talked about. I'll come back for you and meet you there," I said.