Chapter 46

I couldn't see his face but I could hear his gasp and quickening breaths. After taking a moment to absorb the sight before him, he stepped forward and pulled the gun out of his jacket.

"What have you done?" he growled, resting the barrel of his gun against my short hair. He was using that deep voice he always employed when trying to hide his true emotions. It made him sound intimidating and on top of things when he was really ready to cry or tear someone to shreds. He'd used it a lot back when he'd worked for John Philips.

Derek didn't know I could see through him. He didn't know I was here.

I could see Odette, Ace, and Jala raise their weapons and look at me desperately, which made me realize that my husband probably wasn't alone. Shivering with rage, I allowed myself to turn slightly and see if I was right.

Twenty armed men were standing behind Dark, forming a shield of sorts around him. He was in the midst of them, staring at Polly's dead body with a greying face. If I wasn't so enraged I might have noticed that he wasn't even glancing at Zora's corpse.

As I stepped away, examining the battle field and trying to decide what I should say, Maddox took my place by Polly's side and started examining her body. After saying something none of us could hear, he released a small flap on his arm and began pulling small, metal instruments out from inside it.

I would have questioned his actions but was too distracted.

After my husband stepped out of the line of fire, the soldiers started shooting at us. I did my best to move some of the bullets out of the way but my mind could only handle so much. The others were forced to hide behind some of the panels I'd ripped out and return fire while I teleported to the other side of the rom

Meanwhile, Maddox stealthily returned to the glass case and yanked the stone from the final wire holding it in place. After examining it for less than a second, he returned to the Valdis' corpse and started attaching his metal parts to one of her arms.

Dark was finally looking at me as we defended ourselves but he saw me as the murderer of his child, not his wife. He couldn't recognize me. Maybe it was the makeup. Maybe it was the hatred he now felt for me and the people standing behind me.

"Kill them," he ordered before turning and walking away like a true coward of a villain. "If you fail, I'll see to it that your families burn."

The soldiers nodded and trained their weapons on us, their black helmets hiding any thoughts they might be having about us. I heard Odette gasp behind me but kept my eyes on their guns. As soon as they fired and the deafening sound stung my ears, I held both of my hands out and breathed in.

Every piece of metal was flung against the wall one by one. It felt like a minute passed in my mind but to the others it was a mere second. The second spray of bullets faced the same fate and one man who was brave enough to run toward me was sent to flying toward the other soldiers. His landing was softened by two other men who went down with him.

"Whoa," Ace whispered as he stared at the walls, now littered with bullets. He'd never seen me do that before.

As I collapsed on the floor, desperately sucking in air to compensate for my sudden exhaustion, I couldn't help but smirk when the soldiers looked at each other in confusion before staring at me with fear. They were scared of me now. Good, because I did not have the strength or concentration to do that a second time.

Taking deep breaths, I stepped away from my friends and teleported past the soldiers toward the exit. To ensure that they couldn't hurt my friends, I then used every last ounce of strength to yank their guns out of their hands and meld them into a wall that would lock them in long enough for the others to escape.