Chapter 40

I was itching to burn this cherry house down. As my men knocked down the door and charged inside, guns at the ready, I rolled back and forth on my heels. My excitement must have been obvious because the soldier off to my left, the only one who hadn't gone inside with the others, kept glancing at me.

After I realized that I was being watched I stopped moving and glared at the soldier. "Why aren't you in there with them?" I asked, gesturing toward the men as they cleared the building.

The soldier glanced at the red house, then back at me. His entire body was hidden by a long, black cloak and his face covered by a silver mask that wrapped around his mouth like worms on a wet sidewalk. "I was giving you the honors."

I groaned, all joy gone. I hated this soldier most of all. If he wasn't so good at his job I definitely would have killed him long ago. I never should have suggested he join me on my hunt. "Just shut up and do your job."

The person chuckled, then headed into the house without a weapon. After checking all the rooms, they came back out to deliver a report. "They're gone."

My insides boiled. "What?!?"

The soldier shrugged. "I don't know how they escaped so quickly."

Neither did I. We had seen one of them through the window moments before breaking in. We should have seen them exit through a back door or window so where had they gone? Enraged, I kicked a nearby wall. "You didn't warn them beforehand, did you?" I hissed.

"Now why would I do that?" the man asked mockingly.

I shrugged, looking away. "I don't know. Just seems like something you'd do."

While the soldier laughed, I screamed inwardly. I'd need to report to Dark that I had failed to capture them. This had been my last chance to kill them and finally gain his trust. Now he'd probably hate me even more.

◑○★☆●◐

"I'm glad you're on our side," Jala told me with a genuine smile. "Thanks for saving us back there. Wish I could teleport."

I shrugged shyly as she and Ace sat next to me. We were resting on top of a small hill overlooking the city. The world didn't look so bad from up here. I almost forgot we were fugitives.

"This isn't the time to admire the scenery," Odette said, standing with her hands on her hips like a stern mother. "I haven't used a gun since I was in my twenties but I'm willing to make an exception for this so let's get a move on before Zora finds our hidden ship too."

The reason she'd owned the bar in the first place was to buy a space ship to get somewhere. She'd never specified where, though. Once she'd saved up enough, she'd sold the establishment. It felt oddly convenient that she had a ship just when we needed it, though.

"Fine with me." I glanced at Maddox, who was staring intently at Joe as he spun around his legs.

"You ready, Maddox?" Jala asked him, drawing him out of his silent conversation with Joe. The helmeted man nodded and picked up the service bot, planning to take it to the moon with them.

"Okay." Jala turned toward me, her eyes lit up in anticipation of revenge. "We're counting on you, Mary. Just don't get mad if we murder your psycho husband."

I hesitated to take her outstretched hand. "...Then don't get mad if I kill you afterwards."

The main character giggled like a villain, shrugging. "Fair enough."

A/N Just wanted to let you guys know that if you want to make fan art or ask questions for a Q&A, just comment or message me and I'd be more than happy to put them in an extra chapter at the end of the book (I don't expect a huge response but figured I could put the option out there)