Untitled Part 13

After an infinitely long time, which, in reality couldn't have been longer than half an hour, Abby starts to shiver a little more violently and I make the executive decision to take her back inside. She doesn't protest as I kick back the brakes, but sighs and rearranges her glasses which she seems to have forgotten she is wearing.

I walk in silence, not really sure if words are necessary. I settle the chair in its previous position and she stands up slowly. Her legs wobble slightly and I grab her hand without a second thought, helping her navigate into her bed.

She appears weaker, but her skin still glows with the energy of youth or something poetic like that. I linger for a second before turning and making my way to the door.

"Ben?"

I turn around and wait, giving her my attention.

"Thanks, for taking me out. It was really nice to go outside again." She sounds so fiercely grateful and I nod.

As I walk down the corridor I can't help my curiosity. Why did she sound as though she hasn't been outside in a very long time?

Come to think of it, I've never once seen Abby have a visitor. I was always too preoccupied with the strange activities she had been doing to notice how much free time she has. I wonder absently whether she ever has any visitors? She must have family, surely? And Abby doesn't seem like the kind of girl to be short of friends, so where were all her visitors?

I shake my head and for once, I doubt my own memory. I must not have noticed, is all.

­_

My next visit to the hospital is far less anxiety-provoking than the last.

Emily's face morphs into a large smile when I appear through the doorway and I know that I must have done something right.

"Hi Ben!" She chirps.

"Hello little sister." I ruffle her hair very gently and she swats me away.

"I take it that everything is fixed now?" I am quite anxious to actually hear her clarify that everything is back to normal, I hate the not-knowing.

"Yes, me and 417 hung out yesterday and everything was good, she said you apologised." She states matter-of-factly and I nod.

"I did, although I didn't know if I was forgiven or not." I wring my hands in front of me and lean back a little, shifting when the awkward angle of the chair digs into my ribs.

"Oh, you'd know if you weren't." She says, chuckling darkly and I decide not to question it.

I faintly hear the chatter of children from the little common area and look back to Emily with a curious gaze.

"It's probably another of her readings, I'm glad that she's doing it again. It used to be a regimented schedule but now it's more of a rare treat." She says sadly and I frown. I wonder why?

"You want to go listen?" I ask her and she looks surprised but nods quickly. I help her into her chair and wheel her into the lounge. Kids are sat in a semi-circle around Abby, who is clutching an overly large picture book. She doesn't seem to need to read it, as she's reciting it word for word.

It seems like one of those princess kinds of books.

I park Emily near the back and she settles into her chair. Abby looks up briefly, whilst turning a page and her face seems to brighten at our presence.

She continues to tell the story animatedly, getting all the kids involved. Her IV stand is behind her, her Pokémon one and I smile faintly, glad that her favourite stand has been returned.

She finishes with a flourish, big smiles on everyone's faces. A little girl climbs onto her lap and looks through the pictures again, recounting her favourite scenes to Abby. It must be tedious but she listens with a smile and chimes in with her favourite parts of the book, which coincidentally, are the same as the small girl's in her lap.

I'm lost in thought and don't notice Abby approaching until she's in front of us.

"Hi Em! You're looking radiant this morning." She says softly, tugging her IV stand with her and leaning against it as if it were a lamppost.

"As are you, 417. I'm so glad you're doing the readings again." Emily squeaks and I shove my hands in my pockets, leaning back against the wall behind me.

"Yeah, the kids have been nagging me for a week now, they're buggers to say no to." She says, laughing but her eyes look tired. I wonder how much energy she exerts trying to make other people happy.

"I'm so glad Ben offered to wheel me out, he does love to pick the most inconvenient times to visit." She rolls her eyes dramatically and I huff.

"I just won't visit then, you little egg." I whine, placing my hand against my heart, wounded from her mean words.

Emily laughs but Abby looks concerned.

"Don't take visitors for granted, Em." She says seriously, her voice filled with melancholy as old as time. A member of hospital staff yells in the corridor, and all of a sudden, the sadness in her face washes away, as if it had never been there at all. Abby turns and grins cheekily.

"That's me." She says sheepishly and quickly shuffles in the direction of her room, merrily pulling her IV along behind her.

Emily glances at me and her gaze reaffirms the concern I feel.

Perhaps I wasn't so wrong after all.