Prologue

Prompt: In the beginning

     Her weak eyes opened to the dimming light of her bedroom. She stared up the ceiling listening to the quiet stillness around her wondering what woke her up. The windows are closed but she felt the cold seeping through her bones. She always felt cold. No fire was able to thaw that coldness.

     Faintly, she heard a pair of footsteps climbed up the stairs, down the hall before a soft knock sounded at her door. The knob turned then light filtered in her room. Another set of footsteps approached her bed and the light became brighter.

    “How are you this evening?”

    “Good evening, Tilly.” Her voice was raspy.

    “Would you like to have your dinner now? I’ve prepared soup and some stew.”

    She answered with a dry laugh. “You jest, my dear. We both know that no sustenance would make me well anymore. Nor would any meal could warm me up. My time is almost up.”

    She heard Matilda sob and tears prickled her eyes. For thirty years, the woman had been with her while she was locked up in this manor. Her closest friend whom she grew up with. She was her only connection to the world beyond the woods.

    “I don’t like it when you say things like that.”

    “Stubborn as ever. You have put your life on hold because of me. Are you not happy that you would finally be free of my burden?”

    She felt the bed dip beside her. Her hand was pulled from under the covers and was held between two soft and warm hands.

    “You’re my best friend. You would never be a burden. Sure there were choices you’ve made that I don’t agree with but I’m still here, am I not?”

    She squeezed her hand.

    “Thank you for always being here. I have one last request.” When she felt Matilda squeezed her hand, she continued, “There’s a box in the library that contains the instructions that has to be done before the new moon comes.”

    “I will pick it up on my way out. Is there anything else?”

    With that last question, a sob escaped her lips but it sounded like a gasp.

    “My daughter.”

    “I will be here to welcome her home.”

    The light of the full moon slowly crept into the room.

    “It’s time, Tilly.”

    Matilda squeezed her hand again.

    “I have to go.”

    She felt her friend leave the bed and out the room. Matilda was out in the hallway when her sobs rang back into the room. She wanted to get up and comfort her friend but it has been a while since she was able to get up from the bed. She tried to listen for rustling or any sound from downstairs but she cannot here from her room. The doors and the windows in her room were closed.

    Time passed as she watch the light danced on the ceiling, waiting for her time. She knew that before the sun rises again, she would leave this realm. The light on the bedside lamp flickered despite the lack of breeze. A shadow approached before the light went out.

    Suddenly, she felt warmth. It started from the tips of her fingers, spreading inside her body. Then a large hand engulfed hers that was left on top of the sheets. It was calloused and warm.

    “My love, I am sorry for making you wait this long.”

    Tears fell from her eyes, wetting the pillow behind her head. It had been decades since she last heard that voice. The last time was when their daughter was taken away from them and she was locked up inside the manor.

    “H-how? I thought?”

    “All will be told in due time, my love. Now, we must go before the full moon reach its peak.”

    She was pulled up from the bed with ease. When muscular arms enclosed her in their warmth and a kiss was pressed on her forehead, she felt alive again.

    “It’s time to get you home.”

    They disappeared and all was still and quiet in the woods.