Chapter Two

Day Three Prompt: Then the dreams began

Helia tossed and turned in her bed, her legs tangled in her sheets. Beads of sweat formed on her goosebump-littered skin making her shirt stick to her body. Her breathing came in pants as her dream blurred with the letter she read before bed.

My Dear Helia,

One does not see the reason why things happen as they did until they are looking at the sunset with the knowledge that their life's curtain closes when the moon rises. Some would watch their life flash before their eyes like end credits to a movie and wish they could go back to do the things they didn't, couldn't, wouldn't and shouldn't. For some it would be witnessing their adventures and misadventures--all great memories and no regrets. It would be a very long time before you are at that point but I hope you would belong to the second group.

You might be wondering why a stranger would be writing you her silly views of life. If you are reading this, then it means that I am waiting for my sun to set. I have lived a full life but my only regret was not seeing you grow into a beautiful young woman I know you would be.

Helia was like a phantom in her own dream, watching a scene that was not from her memory. It was like watching snippets of a movie. The images teased her imagination while heightening her curiosity.

A tall, long-haired male with an aristocratic features and pointed ears held a pregnant female. She has big brown eyes, a delicate nose and full lips. It was like looking at herself in an alternate universe except that her eyes were more almond-shaped like that of the man. Helia wasn't petite either, being taller than average at five feet ten.

Then the image changed to the same couple with a newborn. The male had his arms wrapped around the female kissing her forehead. Her mother, Matilda, looked on at the family with tears in her eyes.

I was filled with so much joy when I learned that I was pregnant with you. Your father had been excited and could not wait to hold you in his arms. When you finally arrived, no words could describe our happiness. We were happy in our own bubble until you turned a year old. Those who oppose our bond came to separate us and in order to spare you from it all, I asked my dear friend, Matilda, to care for you. If you are reading this, I am sure she cared for you like her own and I could not ask for anything more than that. Extend my gratefulness to your mother and apology for not being a better friend.

Matilda was standing in front of a ruins of what used to be a manor. She was holding a baby in her arms who seemed oblivious to the tears that were running down the older woman's face.

Then the photo she received in the package flashed in her dream. It was that of the couple she just dreamed of. With them was the baby the looked uncannily like her baby pictures and her mother, Matilda. When she saw it earlier, it lessened the possibility that the letter was fabricated or a prank. Only a confirmation from her mother would assuage her that what the letter contained was true.

There are things that cannot be said and as I am still bound by the curse as I write this, I cannot share anything. I expect questions but since I will not be able to answer them nor could your mother, the set of keys will lead you to them. Be brave, my child, do not be afraid to seek the answers to what troubles your mind.

Life would be different if the fate had been kind to us but as it is, we were torn apart by the same fate that brought your father to me. Maybe, we were mere pawns to what fate has in store for you. I wish you health and happiness, my child. My thoughts will always be with you.

With love,

Ursula Beatris de Azpetia

Suddenly, her dream took a different turn. The photo faded and she found herself standing in the middle of the woods. She could only see trees for miles ahead. The quiet was eerie, not even a rustle of the wind can be heard. Light filtered from above but she cannot determine what time it was. There was a flicker of light to her right but when she turned, there was nothing. She stared at it for a few more seconds but the light didn't appear again. Just as she was about to look away, a figure stepped out of the shadows.

He was walking towards her but still not a sound can be heard. Not the crunching of the leaves or the gasp that escaped her lips in surprise. She cannot even hear her own heart beats.

Before she could see how he looked like, she felt a pull then she was falling. Her heart thudded loudly in her chest. She knew she was in bed even without opening her eyes. She was between consciousness and sleep, neither dreaming nor fully awake.

She wondered what jolted her consciousness into wakefulness but when she tried to open her eyes, she couldn't. She tried to get up but only her fingers and toes moved. Then she felt that someone was staring at her, watching her sleep. She trained her ears hoping to get a clue as to who it was but it was as quiet as when she was in the woods. Then she felt a tender caress on her cheeks--a finger gliding delicately along her skin. Goosebumps appeared on her skin and disappeared when the touch ceased. Before she opened her eyes, she heard a voice.

"I have found you, my queen."

_______________

Another chapter will be posted before midnight.

Whispers in the Shadowsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें