chapter 10

"I t-think you have the w-wrong address," Dan stuttered at a weak attempt to dismiss his father, beginning to shut the door again.

His dad's hand shot out to grip the door before it closed, only to pry it further open. Mr. Howell strode into Dan's flat, unwelcomed.

"P-Please get out," Dan whimpered feebly. Just watching the way his father held himself made him shudder. It was almost as if he could feel the ghosts of his past lashes again.

"My son, I just want to talk." Mr. Howell replied, his voice sickeningly sweet.

"Don't call me that."

"Well Daniel, a man who claimed to be your boyfriend called me the other day. Who was that?" The older man asked, dangerously calm. However, Dan could sense that he was just waiting to blow up.

The younger man wished he could stand up for himself and that after all these years he could defend himself against his former abuser. Instead, Dan ended up falling into his past behavior.

"I-I don't k-know... they p-probably had the w-wrong number." Dan lied. How could Phil do this? Surely he knows how dangerous my father is?

"Liar! He sure seemed to know you when he called. Claimed to be your 'boyfriend'. And to think I was going to try to mend things between us." Dan's father shouted, causing Dan to wince as if he had been slapped in the face.

He didn't know what have him the sudden courage, but instead of shrinking away Dan straightened himself up. He stared daggers into his father's eyes.

"I will no longer be hurt by you. Leave, or I will call the authorities. Surely they'll remember my unresolved case file? 'Abuser still unidentified'." Dan's voice came out deeper and louder than he had anticipated.

While Dan's uncle had served time, they had yet to connect Dan's father to the crime. To Dan's advantage, he had enough evidence to blackmail his father. The fact that Mr. Howell didn't know how much evidence Dan had, allowed him to pretend that he had more than he actually did.

One moment Dan was staring down his father and the next he was sprawled on the ground, his cheek burning. The brunet felt himself begin to lose consciousness from his hard fall.

"Have a nice day, Daniel." Dan's father growled before walking out and slamming the door.

At least he's gone. Dan then proceeded to pass out.

****

A few drinks can't hurt, besides, I deserve it from what I had to endure today. The curly-haired man downed another shot of vodka.

Dan sat on an uncomfortable leather seat, trying to make himself as invisible as possible. He had a shitty day and was trying to forget about it the best way he knew how. Alcohol. The brunet's eyes traveled over the large pride flag that was lazily hung on the wall beside him.

Whenever Dan wanted a drink, he usually went to this gay club's bar. Perhaps it was the many bloody noses that taught him that he was only welcome in certain clubs.

It was a well sized building, that gave almost no indication that it was anything other than a "regular" club. However, when you came inside, you were practically slapped in the face with rainbows. When Dan first visited the establishment, he asked the bartender about the design. The bartender's response described it as "a closeted kid, tryna look straight on the outside, but fabulously gay on the inside". Of course, Dan couldn't argue with that.

Dan didn't notice that someone had sat down next to him until the man cleared his throat.

"Hey baby boy, what's your name?" the man purred, his voice deep and practically oozing with sex.

Dan was on his 5th shot by now, his movements unsteady. He turned towards the attractive man.

"Dannnnnn," he slurred, drunkenly waving, "what about youuuuu???"

"So Dan, you'd like to know what name you'll be screaming tonight?" the man winked cheekily.

A little voice in Dan's mind was screaming at him to wake up, that he had the best boyfriend in the world, though another countered it. Phil will probably break up with me soon, so a little one night stand couldn't hurt. Plus, he probably doesn't even love me. When he confesses it, it won't hurt as much as I would've already moved on. He's way too good for me and can do so much better, so it'll definitely be better for him too. I won't drag Phil down anymore. What's wrong with trying to protect myself from getting hurt? As his mind raced with excuses, Dan sluggishly nodded, accepting the offer.

"I usually like men to call me Sir, but you're special. You can call me Dean."

******

author's note // guess who actually updated ?? also i didn't check this chapter for spelling/grammar mistakes so i might update it later idk