Chapter Fifteen

I open my eyes, finding myself curled up on the leather couch back in Texas, the house completely silent except for the sound of my breathing.
My stomach growls softly and I quietly stand up, tiptoeing  into the kitchen, flicking on the light before padding over to the fridge.
I scan the shelves and grin as I find the silver thermos, most likely filled with blood.
After a few moments, I shake myself and take out the milk carton before walking to the pantry, pulling out the box of cereal.
"How're you feeling?", I jump, almost dropping the bowl in my hand as I whirl around, raising my fists into a fighting stance. I relax as soon as I see Samantha's face, letting out a sigh of relief as I set down the ceramic.
"A little better", I answer quietly. "You?"
"Like hell." I chuckle and shake the cereal out of the box, topping the flakes with milk. My mother watches me, a small smile on her face.
"What are you smiling about?", I ask, putting the milk away and pulling a spoon out of the dishwasher.
"Just the fact that you're having cereal at 1:47 in the morning", she answers."It's just amusing."
"Well according to Dad, I used to be a good cook." I frown. "Not anymore. Apparently you change after forgetting everything."
Samantha sighs. "What are we even going to do about all this?"
I shrug. "Fight them."
"Something tells me that while you have the strength to stand, you don't have the strength to fight with your knives."
"I can shoot a gun. Not as much fun, but it'll get the job done."
"Who exactly taught you how to fire a gun?"
"I learned, well, on the fly", I say thoughtfully. "I don't even remember my first time, but according to the FBI, I never even pulled the trigger."
"Why not?"
I lean on the counter and pull up my pant leg, revealing the small scar on my shin. "Got shot first", I say casually.
Samantha nods and asks, "How do you not remember?"
I have a spoonful of cereal before answering.
"Before I got the urge, there would be times when I would get violent, usually directed at myself, but I'd wake up some time later with no memory of what happened."
"So it evolved", my mother says to herself. "That makes no sense medically, unless that Jake character had you take some sort of medication combo that affected your brain enough so that your condition could get worse."
"I'm guessing you went to med school like Dad", I sigh. I pause , thinking back to the first two years of my life I can fully remember. "Actually, over those two years, he kept having me take a few different medications, then suddenly make me not have them, or switch a dosage. I didn't think much of it until now; the only thing the pills did to me was make me sleep."
Samantha leans on the counter, rubbing her chin with her hand, thinking.
"I might be able to make a combination of medicines to help your urge", she says finally. "It might take some time and failed attempts, but maybe we can mostly reverse the effects of your first electroshock session."
"Maybe. But how will you know what to use?" I finish my cereal and place my dishes in the sink, stretching my arms over my head. "But we can figure this out in the morning."
She doesn't reply, to deep to notice me retreat back to the couch.