Chapter 8

After both the tailor and hair dresser had left, I was barely recognizable from who I was, Cinderaen, the mysterious Lady in Blue.

Once I had stared at my reflection in the mirror for long enough, Ethan and I headed out to the palace courtyard. It was his intention to announce our betrothal to the people and his parents that very day.

When we stepped into the plaza a hush fell over the crowd. Feeling nervous from all of the stares we were getting, I fell a bit behind Ethan, trying to hide from the prying eyes in the crowd. Then many voices and questions filled the air once more. Who was this man with the prince? Why had no one seen him enter the palace? Had the Lady in Blue been found yet? Was this new man some foreign prince?

I halted, scared to go on and see the reactions these people would have to me and Ethan. Seeing my hesitation, Ethan tugged on my hand and led me forward, weaving through the crowd without any sign of fear.

Eventually we made it through the crowd and reached the raised platform in the center of the plaza meant for messengers, the crowd fell silent. Waiting... Anticipating...

"As many of you know, I am Ethan Radain. I recently sent out a message seeking the return of my true love. The Lady in Blue. Well, my good people, I can tell you that she is found," Ethan paused as the crowd gasped. Where is she? Who is she? Where did she come from?

"Now, now... Calm down please, all of your questions can be answered eventually. And by the Lady in Blue himself!" He took my hand in his and raised our interlocked hands together to show the crowd and gestured with his free hand at me.

At this the crowd went wild. A man? How was this mysterious man the Lady in Blue? Why was the new royal couple so strange? How dare that cross dresser steal the prince's heart? Who did they think they were parading around as two men that were in love?

This time I was the one to quiet the crowd. "My fellow common fold. Please listen to me. My name is Cinderaen Synthim, but many of you will know as the Lady in Blue. My deepest apologies for the confusion in my appearance and reality, but this, right now, is who I truly am." My voice echoed across the silent plaza as everyone was speechless with awe, surprise, disgust, or hate and sounded strange to my ears, yet I still hoped it would calm the crowd down.

"Love has no gender, nor should it be restrained to one set way. I love Prince Ethan as much as a wife would love her husband and vice versa. Love is who you fall in love with, there is no choice, it is who you cannot imagine living without!" I raised my free hand and Ethan's ring flashed in the sunlight.

The crowd started chattering among themselves once again. Prince Ethan had finally found his true love and fiance! So it was true, he proposed to the Lady in Blue!
Nothing, however, could have prepared me for what I saw next. Two women ran up in front of the platform Ethan and I were on and faced the crowd together. Then, in front of everyone, one knelt down on one knee and pulled out a ring and proposed to the other, who, of course, said yes. The crowd erupted into cheers and the people embraced the two women with heartfelt emotions.

For days and weeks after Ethan had made his proposal to me common knowledge, many more same sex marriages and proposals were witnessed all throughout the kingdom. And many more people came to accept it as part of human nature and how it was simply part of the people. I could have never imagined that I would be part of such a wondrous and momentous change in so many people, but I was forever grateful to have made it happen from that day since.

A/N:

Oh goodness, this story has reached 500 views! I'm so grateful for all of you who took the time to read my little story and hope you continue to follow along as Cinderaen is almost at the end of his journey. Thank you all, you wonderful readers!!!