British Angel of Solicitude - Johanna Hefer

"As the object of war is confined to disabling the enemy, the infliction of any injuries beyond that which is required to produce disability is needless cruelty

"As the object of war is confined to disabling the enemy, the infliction of any injuries beyond that which is required to produce disability is needless cruelty."

MANUAL OF MILITARY LAW (1899)

"Orders have been issued by me, prohibiting soldiers from entering private houses, or molesting the civil population on any pretext whatever, and every precaution has been taken against injury to property on the part of any person belonging to, or...

"Orders have been issued by me, prohibiting soldiers from entering private houses, or molesting the civil population on any pretext whatever, and every precaution has been taken against injury to property on the part of any person belonging to, or connected with, the Army."

FIRST PROCLAMATION OF LORD ROBERTS TO BURGHERS OF ORANGE FREE STATE

"The effect on those of the Colonial troops, who in carrying out these orders of destruction are gratifying their feelings of hatred and revenge, is very bad. Their discipline is far below that of the Imperial troops, and they soon get out of hand. They swarm into the house, looting and destroying and filling the air with high-sounding cries of vengeance, and..."

MR. FILSON YOUNG, AUTHOR OF THE RELIEF OF MAFEKING

"We learn from many sides that the British troops, contrary to the recognised usages of war, are guilty of the destruction by burning and blowing up with dynamite of farmhouses, of the devastation of farms and the goods therein, whereby unprotected women and children are often deprived of food and cover."

PROTEST FROM PRESIDENT KRUGER

"The woman threw her arms round the officer's neck, and begged that the homestead might be spared. When the flames burst from the doomed place, the poor woman threw herself on her knees, tore open her bodice, and bared her breasts, screeching, 'Shoot me, shoot me! I've nothing more to live for, now that my husband is gone, and our farm is burnt, and our cattle taken!'"

"That hundreds of families were rendered homeless thus early in the war is certain, and the fact is implied in the pregnant sentence written at this time by the special correspondent of the Daily Chronick: "From end to end the Orange River Colony now lies ruined and starving."'
LETTER FROM FRIGATE STANLON, N.S.W. CONTINGEN