Chapter 18

IMPORTANT NOTE- This chapter is going to be a week after the last chapter. So, America has been with the rebels for a week and a day.

(Maxon's POV)
I can't believe myself. I'd been pulling Kriss along to the safe room and hadn't even checked if America was still following us. It turned out that someone yanked her away, according to the security cameras. She'd struggled but her attacker was too strong. He knocked her out and kidnapped her. If something happened to America, I would never forgive myself. A few minutes later, there's a knock at the door.
"Maxon? Son?" I choke back a sob and say,
"Come in."
"Maxon. There's something very important downstairs." Why would he want me to do business stuff now?
"Dad. Do I have to do business stuff now?" I truly don't want to.
"It concerns America." I shoot out of bed and follow my dad through the halls. Did the guards find her? Is she ok?
"Maxon!!" My father yelled.
"What??"
"Pay attention." I look up and see a screen with the rebels and a beat-up America. My throat drops to my stomach.
"America?" I squeak. She's unconscious in the video. The rebel leader smiles evilly into the camera.
"Give us what we want or we'll slowly kill her. She'll probably bleed to death. Look at all the cuts and bruises she has already!" The guy laughs so hard he starts to snort. How could anybody be so cruel and think it's funny to kill people? America slowly starts to regain consciousness. She squints and looks around the room.
"Hahahahaha you are awake! All the better!" The rebel leader laughs again. Before America has a chance to say anything, he punches her jaw and there's an audible snap. I wince at the sound. America yelps. The rebel leader then takes his knife and runs it along America's arm.
"You see, the longer you take to give us Gregory Illéa's diary, the more pain we'll put Miss Singer in. Each day the suffering will get worse. And then, one day, she'll die!" Rage courses through my veins and I turn to my father.
"We can't give them Gregory Illéa's diary. I'm sorry," my father says.
"No, obviously, but we have to find America!" My father looks over at me with sad eyes.
"We'll try, but there's no guarantee, son." I collapse on the ground. Tears stain my face and my father brings me to my room.
"Maxon. Ever since America came to the castle, I could see that she was brave. She was strong, stubborn, and in my opinion, she'd make a great queen. So I think that until we find her, America will have the strength to stay alive. I know." I stare at my father, shocked at his words. Before I have a chance to say anything, he walks out. We have to find America. Everybody wants her to be queen. Then, I remembered the project that the girls were doing. All the royal families had delayed when they were supposed to come so we could figure out our dilemma. I couldn't keep so many girls at the castle. Their lives were at risk. I run down to the dining room, knowing that the girls would be eating their dinner. Everybody looks shocked that I'm there. Ever since America was kidnapped, I'd eaten in my room. I turn around and face the girls.
"I have an important announcement to make." Everybody turns to face me. My mom's eyebrows raise in confusion.
"Due to the rebel attacks, I feel that I must make an elimination. I know that this was supposed to happen at the end of the project, but your safety is at risk." Everybody starts to tense up and then I catch my father's eye. He nods in encouragement.
"I will keep ten of you here. Those girls are Lady Kriss, Lady America, Lady Elise, Lady Celeste, Lady Natalie, Lady Tiny, Lady Marlee, Lady Olivia, Lady Amy, and Lady Emily." After that, I know there's 7 girls sobbing. Right before I leave, I turn around and say,
"At the end of the project there will be 5 girls left." The remaining girls worry amongst themselves. Little do these girls know, the only person I want is America. I think I already know the 5 people I want to eliminate next. Then I realized, moping around in my room wasn't going to help get America back. I went to the soldier room where many of the guards were on break.
"Men." I say. They all turn around to look at me.
"Yes, Sir Maxon?" They respond.
"How many soldiers have gone out to find Lady America?" I ask.
"Umm... 50ish?" Someone responds,
"50? That's it? We are searching all of Illéa for the rebels' camps with 50 men?!" This infuriates me. My father sounded like he cared earlier. Obviously, he didn't. I turn to the captain of the guards and say,
"Can I have you get all of the guards into a meeting?
"Um, sir?"
"Don't sir me! Just do it!" The captain nods and goes over to the intercom and asks for all of the guards to the meeting.
"How many people are you going to um, send out, uh, sir?" He asks. I turn to him.
"Obviously, I want to keep some guards here to protect the castle, but I want to send more out. This is a daughter of Illéa that's missing!" I nearly shout. The captain nods vigorously but says,
"Sir, we can't just send out guards. We need your father's permission first." I nearly blow up at his comment. I run out of the room and go up the stairs. I hear my father yelling for me to come down but I ignore him and run up the stairs faster. When I get to the room, I slam and lock the door.
"MAXON!" My father yells. I don't care what lies he brings up; I'm ignoring him. I don't care if I'm the future king. I should have more independence if I am the future king. My parents are so overprotective. I hate it how they don't let me go anywhere without themselves or a guard! And yet, America, one of the daughters of Illéa, has practically no search party. All my parents care about is our family. What about the rest of the country? I know that when I'm king, I'm going to do something about all the poor people in the country. There's so many people without food, and yet here we are eating a feast for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? And my parents don't do anything about it? Seriously? Eventually I just cry myself to sleep, thinking about America the whole time.

Comment, vote, the usual;)

BTW: 10 more chapters!! Who wants a sequel? (The Elite where the King is Nice)?