2- who

when dan woke up the first thing he noticed was how much better he felt

when dan woke up the first thing he noticed was how much better he felt. he hadn't slept like that in days.

the second thing he noticed was that he was lying on a couch that wasn't his, facing a blaring tv that wasn't his.

and the third thing he noticed was phil sitting upright next to him on the couch, with a laptop on his lap. his eyebrows were furrowed as his eyes moved back and forth on the screen, making it look like he was reading something. whatever it was, he didn't look too happy with it.

dan took a moment to admire phil. he looked a little worse for wear since the last time dan had seen him, when they were 16. perhaps it was the expression of deep concentration painted carefully on his face, but phil had lost the impish grin that he used to be known for. it made dan mourn simpler times.

"oh, you're awake. how are you feeling?"

"fine... how long was i out for?"

"a few minutes. i panicked when you fainted, so i smoked. you interrupted me by waking up, so i moved you to the couch and did some research. oh and had some more weed. you missed out."

dan took a moment to look around, trying to remember waking up. he came up with a blank. "is something wrong with me?"

phil turned his laptop towards dan so that he could see the screen. it was some medical website. "according to this, you have low blood sugar. when was the last time you ate?"

"i-i ate... um... i don't—"

phil smiled softly, handing a plate to dan. "it's okay. here, have a brownie."

"a brownie?" dan questioned sceptically.

"with a secret ingredient," phil added, tapping the side of his nose.

relieved to finally be getting what he came for, dan shoved a whole brownie in his mouth, taking a second to breathe, before following it up with another. phil looked on with amusement before going back to his laptop.

"did you know that the medical word for fainting is syncope? that has got to be the ugliest word ever."

"i take it you're not a med student?"

"nope, english, but i may as well become a doctor after all the reading i've done about low blood sugar."

"all the reading?"

"yeah, but i keep getting distracted and i'm high, so i'm not sure how much of it is going in."

"you don't seem high," dan observed carefully.