Chapter 3

"You know, you really need to pay attention to some of the other girls," I said as Alex led me around the dance floor.

The ball had been in progress for the last hour, but this was the first dance either of us had participated in. Personally, I didn't like dancing. I just wasn't good at it. Inevitably my feet wound up in the wrong place and I tripped someone. Usually myself.

It wasn't so bad with Alex. Or at least, it hadn't been bad in the past when there was no romantic tension in the vicinity. He would always tease me, but he was skilled enough to keep me from falling over, and understanding enough to endure his feet being stepped on eight or ten times. Though usually not without a smart alec comment.

"What other girls?" He kept a straight face, but his eyes twinkled with amusement. There were at least a hundred available girls in this room, all tossing not-so-subtle glances his way, just praying he would ask them for the next dance.

I rolled my eyes. "You know they all spent months planning their outfits and hair for this event, hoping to impress you. The least you could do is pretend to care."

"And how many months did you spend?"

"Me?" I blinked innocently. "None. I woke up this way."

Alex laughed. "I almost believe that. Perhaps if I hadn't seen you after a nap before, I would."

I blushed at the reminder. It must have been five years ago. Papa brought me to the castle one day, but he'd taken so long with his business and Alex had been with his tutor and off limits for interruptions, so I went to the stables to visit the horses and wound up falling asleep in a pile of hay. That's where Alex found me. He never let me forget the way my hair seemed to take on a life of it's own when I sat up, static pulling my hay-infused hair in every direction.

"Sleeping in hay is for children," I said. "Don't you know? After a certain age, girls have to sleep standing up to avoid wrinkling our clothes and mussing our hair."

"I suppose I'll have to keep you moving then," he said mischievously. "I wouldn't want you dozing off at my party."

I smiled though my stomach flipped with nerves. According to Society, Alex and I could dance together twice. Any more than that would be a declaration that we were fairly serious about one another. This was only our first dance, so we still had another before people would talk, but I wasn't comfortable with his insinuation of planning to dance with me all night.

"You don't honestly intend to deprive all your adoring subjects of your attention, do you?" I tried to steer his attention away from myself. "Especially not for the sake of someone who can't dance."

He shrugged. "It's my birthday. I can pay attention to whoever I wish. Besides, there's exactly one subject I'm interested in having adore me." His stare was intense and I found myself unable to hold his gaze.

"You can't really blame them," I said, trying to recover and choosing to ignore his comment. "You are the most eligible bachelor in the entire kingdom."

When I met his eyes again, he didn't look discouraged. Actually, he seemed eager to accept the challenge. I swallowed nervously.

"It's true," he said. "Everyone knows I have to make a decision this year." He glanced around the room and I felt myself hope that he was actually thinking of looking for other prospects.

His eyes settled on me again and I knew he was thinking no such thing.

"But I think it's fair to say that you are quite easily on the same level as I am in the eligibility arena."

"I'm hardly royalty," I disagreed.

"You're right. You're just the only daughter of one of the most wealthy and powerful men in the kingdom, not to mention the military." He laughed. "One might say we are well matched."

One might, but I might not.

"Except that I'm not available."

He smirked. "You're definitely available."

"I'm not-"

"Yes, I know. You aren't planning to marry for another three years," he parroted my usual excuse.

I watched him, not sure what to say. He stole my argument. It was a valid point, but he didn't seem bothered by it.

"You forget, Keira, engagements can last years."

I pursed my lips. No, I hadn't forgotten that detail. I just assumed he would be married before three years passed.

"I have all year to make my decision, and I'm in no hurry for a wedding either. I can wait three years."

It wasn't a proposal, but it was pretty close. I could only stare at him dumbly as he released all but my hand, bowing as he was supposed to at the end of the dance.

I, on the other hand, couldn't move to curtsy as I was supposed to. I honestly couldn't have figured out how to do it in that moment.

Alex shot me an impish grin before turning to leave me alone.