Chapter 7

I felt like I was in a trance for the rest of the day. I kept thinking about kissing Alex and what it would be like to have that to look forward to for the rest of my life.

Honestly, it didn't sound bad at all.

It didn't escape my notice that both kisses had been phenomenal, not that I had anything to compare them to. But it wasn't typical for anyone else that I knew of. At least not so soon. Was it so good with us because we knew each other so well? Because he loved me and I cared for him?

Was it possible for it to get better?

"Keira!" Mother called to me, shaking me from my thoughts.

"What?" I blinked at her, shocked that she'd raised her voice.

She suppressed a smile. "Kendrick asked if you'd like some bread."

"Oh." I turned to our servant who stood, nervously beside my chair, unsure of what to do. Apparently I'd ignored him. "Yes, thank you," I said, taking the offered bread and placing it on my dinner plate.

"Didn't you hear him the three times he asked you?" Theo, my youngest brother asked, giggling.

"Maybe she's going deaf," Benjamin suggested.

"Maybe she's in love," Richard added, with a snort.

I scowled at them, unable to keep the color from my cheeks.

"I was just thinking," I said vaguely. "You three should try it sometime."

Samuel, who was by far my favorite brother, laughed as he ate his food.

"Thinkin' 'bout what?" Richard asked, with a teasing gleam in his eye and a mouth full of food.

Disgusted at the display, I gave him a nasty look.

"Probably a boy!" Benjamin said gleefully.

"Mother, can't you have their mouths temporarily sewn shut when they come home?" I asked.

From the age of 6, boys either had private tutors or went away to school. So, I guess there was one advantage to being a female. I'd had a tutor because my parents, contrary to popular societal ideals, believed education wasn't just for boys, but I didn't have to leave home so young and I wasn't stuck in endless lessons for weeks at a time the way my brothers were.

Insisting that it was some of the best times in his childhood, Papa wanted my brothers to go away to school. Most of the time, I couldn't be happier. Although, I wouldn't have minded if Samuel got to stay home. He was the sweetest one of the bunch.

I was annoyed that Mother didn't seem all that offended on my behalf. "I'm afraid not, Darling," she said. "It wouldn't be very conducive to productive meal times."

"Although." She looked sternly at Richard. "I do think we could stand to see a little less of it."

Barely chastised, he smirked and began eating more politely.

I glanced at Aunt Keira and noticed that she had not missed the fact that I'd denied nothing. I sighed, knowing we'd probably be talking again very soon.

At least everyone else seemed oblivious though.

"More water, Miss?" Kendrick appeared at my side again, having noted my nearly empty glass.

The boys laughed and I shot them all dirty looks.

"Yes, thank you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, I had absolutely no obligations, but thoughts of Alex made it impossible to sleep very well or very much. I was up bright and early, irritated that I hadn't been able to get more rest.