12|Up to something

"So Lilly, there's an empty apartment area beside ours and Faith and I was wondering if you would be interested in moving closer," Daniel explained as they moved into the parking lot

With lips slightly agape, a surprised Lily glanced at Daniel, then at Faith, silent words leaving her mouth.

Daniel explained further. "I mean, it would be a lot better in terms of traveling an-"

"You don't have to give us an answer right now," Faith interjected softly.

She shook her head. "Er no, it's fine," she laughed. "I was just surprised because I was initially thinking of moving closer anyway."

"You were?" Faith mused.

"Yeah," Lilly clarified enthusiastically.

"Great!" Daniel pronounced. "Well if there's anything we can do to help, just let us know."

Lilly smiled appreciatively. "You guys are the sweetest. Thank you."

Faith was about to reply when her phone began to ring. Judging my the specialized ringtone, she knew it was her mother.

"Excuse me, guys," she said, stepping away from Daniel and Lilly who nodded before continuing with their conversation.

"Mom, what's up?"

"How are you?"

Faith scratched the nape of her neck and turned to glance at Daniel and Lilly. "I'm great actually," she smiled. "I'm about to leave the clinic. Today was Lilly's procedure," she explained excitedly.

Something indecipherable was muttered at Mary's end. "Already?"

"Yes mom, already. What's wrong?" Faith inquired.

Mary sighed. "It's just that, a friend of mine at the agency told me about a new born that was brought in this morning..."

Faith knew where the conversation was heading. "Mom..."

"Just hear me out, honey," Mary intervened desperately. "I could make this happen for you, you'll just have to come by an -"

"Mom!" Faith snapped. "Did you not hear me say I was at the clinic? The procedure is done, the whole thing is underway; this is happening mom so please just be happy for me," her voice slightly fell, a sigh leaving her lips.

Mary was momentarily silent. "Honey, I am happy for you but I'm just searching for what's best. Sometimes you can't tell what people have up their sleeves, not everyone has your heart Faith. The goodness in you will sometimes blindside you to the evil in others," Mary explained softly.

Faith rubbed her temples and briefly closed her eyes, understanding her mother's logic perfectly, but she was going to assure her that she needn't worry.