21|Pretense

Lilly secretly scowled at Faith's happiness, watching as she  hugged Jason like he was her dear life

     Lilly secretly scowled at Faith's happiness, watching as she  hugged Jason like he was her dear life. Her smile was big, the joy evident in her glossy eyes as Jason hugged her back. He was genuinely happy for her, Lilly knew, and suddenly more hatred for them consumed her. Her smile was immediate when Faith glanced her way. It was forced but doing it so many times, lilly had mastered the art of making it look real.

     "Congrats guys!" she exclaimed,  smiling proudly, her gaze shifting to Doctor Marten who regarded her somberly.

     "We should definitely go out to celebrate!" Faith suggested, arms still wrapped around Jason as she looked at them both.

Jason agreed instantly. "Absolutely."

    "Sounds great," Lilly managed cheerfully.

     "Great, how about tonight?"

       "Yeah no problem, I'm free," Lilly said.

        "Good."

    They conversed briefly until Faith and Jason decided to leave. Lilly stayed behind, using the bathroom as an excuse so she could speak with the doctor. When the room was occupied by only the two of them, she glanced at him for answers he surly knew she was seeking.

      "Relax, you are indeed pregnant; there's  no need to pretend you are."

A slow smile crept at the corners of her lips. "Great, Daniel will be ecstatic."

Dr Marten nodded as he looked at her, watching her clasped hands as she looked above to briefly give thanks.  When she was done, she speared him one last glance and nodded.

     "I'll be in touch, doctor," she said, and with that she, exited the room.

A marveled Lilly went to her car, immensely happy, briefly forgetting who her rivals were as she reveled in her own joy. She picked up the phone to call Daniel as soon as she was at her car.

    "Hey babe, what's up?" he answered.

     "It worked! I'm pregnant," she squealed, teary at the magnitude of the words she was expressing to the man she loved.

     "Wh– you're pregnant?!" His voice rang out jubilantly through the speakers, causing Lilly to laugh.

      "Yes!"

      "Oh my God, sweetheart. I wish I could kiss you right now. This is huge!"

Lilly began to brush at her tears. "Yeah, we're gonna finally have our baby."

There was a tad bit of silence. "Look, I'm coming to see you soon OK."

    "Um yeah," she sniffed. "I have this thing later so I'll call you afterwards, OK?"

      "What thing?" Daniel queried.

       "Your ex-fiancée wants to celebrate," she informed dryly.