Chapter 16

Micah's POV

I rushed inside the house, not watching to see Azazel go. Staying outside any longer would weaken my resolve. I looked around the house, my eyes squinting despite the darkness. It was still much much brighter than Hell. My heart ached longingly at the thought of Hell.

A light layer of dust coated the rooms, but otherwise, it was exactly the way it had been when I'd left. How long ago was that? How long had I been with Lucifer? I rushed to the kitchen, grabbing the digital calendar. I counted the days in my head. Five months. I sighed. I've probably lost my job by now.

I shook my head. No time to worry about that now. I set down the calendar, heading up to my room. I turned on the light, grateful that we owned the property. If my parents hadn't thought ahead, the town would have shut off everything. The power, the water, the air.

I quickly changed and headed outside, only to regret it as the glaring light met my eyes. I hissed in pain, covering my eyes with my hand. Sighing, I went back inside, grabbing a hat.

The air was the first difference I noticed. It was cold, frigid, thin. Much unlike the humid, thick air of Hell. The other obvious difference was the light. But, what pained me most, was the people. It was so painstakingly familiar, yet so completely different.

When I first left, I had wanted nothing more to be back here, and now... I shook my head. I have to live with this. I'm not wanted back there. I looked down at my arm, the cut a dark, deep infected purple. It ached painfully as I thought of Lucifer's words. I wanted a distraction! This is where I belong.

The Kingdom of Hell
Lucifer's POV

I made my way to the dining room, Azazel waiting for me with stiff posture. I looked around, one person missing from the table. "Where's Micah? Did he already eat breakfast?"

Azazel flinched, nodding. "Yes, he ate, but then he-"

"Why didn't he wait for me?"

Azazel looked at me, afraid. "Well, he... Micah, you see... He... Left."

I raised an eyebrow. "What did you mean 'he left?'"

Azazel swallowed. "He... Left. He asked me to take him back."

"Back to... Where?" I was afraid to ask.

"Earth."

Everything froze as I took in this new information. Suddenly, panic and fear coursed through me. "What?! Why?! Why did he leave?!"

"Because he heard us. Last night."

Last night? I thought for a minute before it came back to me. Because I wanted a distraction! Not some stupid wedding! Give me a break, I was bored! Guilt rose up in my chest. He heard that? I... I hadn't meant it. The truth was, I had wanted a distraction, but now, I just want Micah. I love him.

I looked up at Azazel. "I... I have to go and get him."

Azazel shot his head up, looking at me with fear in his eyes. "My Lord, you can't!! The air will-"

"I know," I said quietly. "But, I have to go see him, at least one last time. If I send you, or some other demon, what's the point? I have to tell him my true feelings myself, no matter what the cost."