Back to duty

The boat back to Elepheltes' Land was more luxurious than the one you took on your previous journey. It wasn't surprising as Princess Kougyoku shared her personal ship with you and your followers. Due to the lack of time, you hadn't meet her in Sindria but she insisted to go back with you to join her brother. You kept the princess company at every meal, under Ka Koubun and Helga's attentive watch, but neither of you were inclined to befriend the other. She was from the empire who wanted to take control of your country and you were a reluctant future subject. Or at least you believed so, as you carefully avoided any politically oriented discussion.

You had barely touch your food this night, lost in thought about purple hair, golden eyes and an absurd proposition.

"What did you do to put him under your spell?" Kougyoku had stop eating and played with a part of her grilled salmon. There was a hint of jealousy in her voice, more from sadness than angriness. You didn't had to ask who she was talking about.

"I am pretty sure he only wants to put every woman on this planet under his spell," you replied, insisting of the word his. "I am barely a victim of his attempts."

"No, I have a feeling it's different with you. When we departed from Sindria, it felt like you were... kind of lovers..." She hid the bottom of her face behind her long sleeves, her pink eyes glancing timidly at you.

You couldn't deny Sinbad was a bit persistent the day you left. Just before you embarked, the King called your name and mimicked a kiss on the cheek. Mephelios had gone mad and the Eight Generals face-palmed. But nobody heard the king whisper "Don't forget my proposition. Come back to me." And nobody saw the mirror-like object he slipped into your hand, which purpose was still unknown.

"I can assure you, princess, there is nothing special between the King of Sindria and I." Only a game of cat and mouse.

She pouted, tearing the fish in her plate in small pieces. "Anyway, you're lucky. Even after he told me such things, he hadn't bid me farewell. It was as if I didn't exist..."

It was only then that Kougyoku feelings became clear to you. She loved him and you felt so sorry for her. It was understandable, she was young and sheltered and he was powerful, easy to the eye and charismatic. You didn't knew Sinbad for long, but you could tell he wasn't the type to fell in love. You had a urge to protect Kougyoku from this seductive manipulator, despite the fact she was your enemy's daughter. You rose from your seat and hit the table with the palm of your hand. The sound startled the Kou's princess and her eyes left her fork to lay on you.

"A man like him doesn't deserve any good woman. He will only use you and crush your hopes when he's done with you."

"I understand all of this... Yet, he is the first man who made me feel this way." She sighed, laying her annoyed-looking head in her hand. "But aren't you trying to convince yourself, miss Your Holiness." She mocked your title but her words made their way to your mind. Were you? You stood silently for a far too long moment and Kougyoku had a sharp grin.

"I knew it! 'Nothing between you' is not the right way to put what is happening, is it? How do you feel about him?"

"I feel nothing but respect." And disdain, but you couldn't say this to a girl in love. "All I said is for you, as a fellow woman. I am only warning you to watch your back. Of course if my advice is unwelcome, I will take it back and leave you to deal with the consequences. Now, if you excuse me." You bowed and left the room without looking back. On the deck, you took a deep breath. Your heart was beating faster than normally and your cheeks were slightly red. Kougyoku question was still running in your head, triggering emotions you never knew you had. You kept wondering if it was fear or excitement for his proposition, love not being an option as you only saw him for a day. However, you wanted to see him. You wanted him to whisper in your ear, to treat you differently than everyone else. More than those desires, you felt so empty. You had never realize how much you missed the lack of human contact. Before meeting Sinbad, you were ready to live as you were told since birth, caged and protected from any harm. It pained you to admit it, but if you had to suffer for each one of his kisses, you'd gladly jump in a pit of fire. Oh! How you hated him for haunting you like this! You shook your head, trying to cast the king out of your mind. Training was the best option to relieve you.

Archery was difficult on high sea so you decided to put your fight skills at test. Even with you status as general, you never were trained to close combat, the Elders insisted that you may get touched if you were to throw yourself in the battlefield. You got the idea, but after Sindria you regretted your lack of physical strength. And even more after discovering that Asmodai's weapon was a dagger. You quickly mastered the weapon equip during the trip to Sindria and hoped to find a suitable use for it during the way back. And training was a way to keep your mind off a special king. You closed your eyes and concentrated your magoi in the Fire Djinn's Metal Vessel, invoking the iridescent dagger in your hand. The blow you gave in front of you caused small sparkles that ignited the air. You still had to get use to flames, too. As you swung the Djinn's weapon, a small voice came from somewhere.

"How is your trip with princess Kougyoku?"

You startled. You could recognize this voice from one hundred as Sinbad's. You searched for the king behind some wooden boxes in the room, checked under the bed and even opened the door, to the guard's surprise.

"In your bag, Lady (y/n)!"

You searched it and found the little mirror in which the King smiled innocently. You slipped your finger on the little glass surface, following Sinbad's traits, dumbfounded.

"How did you...?"

"It's a magic tool. With this we can communicate at any time."

"How does it work? Can you see me too?"

You were amazed by the idea behind it. You flipped the thing over and over, looking for a clue. Sinbad took his time to answer, his eternal grin sticked to his face, clearly amused by your reaction.

"if you want me to see you, you have to pour magoi in it. But if just touching it is sufficient, your condition is as I expected."

"My condition?" you repeated, unsure of what he was talking about.

"I am still trying to understand everything, but I put my best magician on the case."

He turned the view to show a gorgeous woman with long blue hair. She smiled and waved, her eyes shining with excitement.

"Nice to meet you! I can't wait to examine your magoi, Holy Maiden."

She sounded a little bit frightening despite her friendly look. Sinbad appeared once again on screen.

"See, I wasn't joking about helping you. To be honest, we already figured some things about your link to the Rukh. We just need you to come and let us experiment."

"You two sound like mad scientists, are you aware of this?" you said, unsure if they were serious or just played with your feelings.

Sinbad laughed. "It may be true, but I'll make sure to find a way to free you."

"As long as I lend my powers to Sindria, isn't it?"

If the girl in you screamed to accept his offer, the Holy Maiden and general knew they had to settle things out with Kou first.

"Everything come with a price and I'm still a trader, (y/n). But I can't force you to do anything. Yet, I'm sure that when you'll learn about what is roaming in the dark, you'll join your force with mine."

"We will see. For now I only wish to go back to Elepheltes' Lands. Farewell, your Majesty."

You put the mirror down. It was the second time he mentioned this unknown enemy. You had persuaded yourself it was only a bait to lure you in his hands, but it still bothered you. If it was true, you had to discover what plot did Sinbad fear, who was behind it and how to protect your country from them.