The Underestimation of Amelia Watson

THIRTY TWO: THE UNDERESTIMATION OF AMELIA WATSON

Sherlock signed for his property which had been confiscated from him as he had been thrown in jail. Amelia stood beside him, leaning back on the desk’s counter. Her arms were folded across the chest, and John stood next to her.

“What did I say?” Amelia said with a raised brow, criticising Sherlock’s actions, “I said, ‘Don’t get clever.’”

“I can’t just turn it on and off like a tap.” Sherlock muttered darkly, taking his bag from the custody officer. He turned to Amelia expectantly, “Well?”

“Well what?”

“You two were there for the whole thing, up in the gallery, start to finish.” Sherlock said.

“Like you said it would be.” John answered, his thoughts flicking to Moriarty’s defending barrister, “He sat on his backside, never even stirred.”

“Moriarty’s not mounting any defence.” Sherlock mused, an almost shocked tone in his voice.

~221B~

“Bank of England, Tower of London, Pentonville.” John listed off, “Three of the most secure places in the country and six weeks ago Moriarty breaks in, no one knows how or why.” He took a seat in his armchair, pondering over this information, couldn’t help but thinking why Moriarty had done this. “All we know is…"

“He ended up in custody.” Sherlock finished in approval, stopping his pacing around the room and turned to John.

“Don’t do that.” Amelia said, collapsing in her armchair with a hand covering her face.

“Do what?” Sherlock said quizzically, shooting her a look.

“The look.”

“Look?”

“You’re doing the look again.”

“Well, I can’t see it, can I?” Sherlock said, following Amelia’s hand as she pointed to the mirror behind him. He turned to it, completely having forgotten it was there. He looked at his reflection, “It’s my face.”

“Yes,” said John, “and it’s doing a thing. You’re doing a ‘we all know what’s really going on here’ face.”

“Well, we do.” Sherlock said, taken aback by John’s blunt comment.

“No.” John said, glaring at Sherlock, “I don’t, which is why I find ‘the Face’ so annoying. Amelia knows what’s going on, but God know that she won’t tell me.”

Sherlock contained a smirk at the last part of John’s statement, “If Moriarty wanted the Jewels, he’d have them. If he wanted those prisoners free, they’d be out on the streets. The only reason he’s still in a prison cell right now is because he chose to be there.” He began to pace around the room once again, his mind racing. “Somehow this is part of his scheme.”

“Even then, Sher,” Amelia said softly, almost too shy to voice her thoughts, “the real question is why he’s doing all of this. I mean, it’s not like he has anything to prove.” She pushed herself off of her seat, wandering to the kitchen. “Anyone want a tea?”

“Please,” John said.

“Sher?” Amelia turned to Sherlock.

“Hmm?”

She rolled her eyes at his ignorance, “Do you want a tea?”

“No.” Sherlock said sharply, he too standing before nearly storming to his and Amelia’s bedroom, slamming the door shut behind him.