4. Wake Up!

Wake Up!

September 22, 1994

Dear Parents,

Divya conveys her namaskars. On 10 September Jnaneswari told me to write to my parents, tell them about Shanti Ashram and to invite them to come here – even permanently! I said I had already written, and told her a little of how you’re busy with house construction with lots of bank loans. She looked disappointed and said, “Won't they come this year?” When I asked for a message for them she said, “Tell them that I am suffering and exceedingly sad that they won't come this year,” and she looked truly depressed! I laughed outright and said, “What is this! I don’t mind at all if they don’t come, and here you are saying that you are so sad!” She answered, “Yes! It’s true! I'm upset they won't come.”

I found out that all this year is the 100-Birthday celebrations of Swami Omkar. It’s so empty here that I never knew!

On 18 September, we completed the pujas so now we are back to the usual morning and evening satsang.

September 13th was the moon-phase date of Venkamma’s death (actual date was the 24th). I gave a donation to the ashram and some sweets to Jnaneswari. After the morning puja I cooked yellow rice! Jnaneswari also ate some. Later several people told me that Jnaneswari never has yellow rice, but because I made it, she had some!

Here, all is going on happily as usual. The weather is nice, the scenery is nice, the lack of people is nice! I think I am getting an idea of how it must be for people to get special attention from Swami, right from the beginning. Here, Jnaneswari immediately gave me my own big house, provides food daily (including milk & fruits), and arranges for any shopping I may have, all free of cost! She looks so happy when she sees me, and she is insisting that stay forever here! In Puttaparthi also, the “instant” VIPs may be thinking that it is the normal treatment for all.

Here much of the day is free – it is so nice to be quiet and hear the birds and the chirping of grass-hoppers during the night - sounds I didn’t hear much in Parthi, or even in Anandashram, due to the noise of people. Sometimes I help out the dawn-to-dusk saying of the ‘Peace prayer,’ sitting in the samadhi tomb room of Swami Omkar (each person has one-hour shifts). The schedule is not strict with lists, like in Anandashram. One person is enough for each shift, and we can say the prayer mentally or out loud, sitting or doing pradakshina, as we wish.

And of course, sadhana is helped along by the joyful presence of Jnaneswari, who often reminds me, “Wake up! See that you are already THAT! There is nothing new to gain and no place on high to go to! Now and here, recognize the Truth of who you are!” I hope by hearing it enough times, I will “wake up”!

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya