|16| Reunion

Alarms blared to life, their monotonous warning ringing painfully loud against the metal walls of the ship.

"That's not good," Wick said, right as the door opened.

Bellamy had been expecting pale, expressionless colonists, and so the sight of Raven, Emori, and Echo standing in the hall caught him off guard. They had guns in their hands, and the shuttle pilot was with them.

Icarus. If it was a different place, different time, Bellamy would have taken a moment to comment on the prophetic quality of the kid's name.

"We've got to hurry," Icarus said, holding his gun out to him.

At the same time, Raven blurted out, "Clarke's alive."

"What?" Bellamy shook his head slowly, his gaze darting between the faces in front of him. "Raven . . . I–"

He'd misheard her; that was the only explanation. Clarke was gone, and had been for six long, lonely years. Whatever troubles he faced in his future, he faced alone.

"It's true," Icarus said, stepping forward and practically shoving the gun into Bellamy's grip. "But we really have to go, okay? The alarms mean that . . ."

His words trailed off into muffled, unintelligible sounds that blended with the whining alarms, the chaos mirroring Bellamy's sudden tangle of emotions and thoughts.

Clarke.

Alive.

Here.

His fingers curled around the cold, heavy handle of the gun with familiarity. They were jogging down a hall now, leaving their cells behind as they followed someone. They were escaping the Eligius colony.

Clarke was alive.

How?

"Come on!" someone yelled, stirring Bellamy into a run.

His feet pounded against hollow metal. His breath came in sharp, short bursts of exertion. The floor of the ship shook, accompanied by the rumbling growl of thunder outside.

Clarke was here.

How? He'd left her behind, too far from any shelter against the destruction of Praimfaya. But, somehow . . . she'd survived. She was alive.

After six years of believing her lost to him, he was going to see her again.

~ ~ ~

We got this.

Those three words looped in Icarus' head, a mental chant in time to the pulsing alarms and the pounding of his feet. His heart ran to a different beat, one of borderline hysteria at the fact that he was really, truly going against everything he'd been raised with.

Any minute now, a block of guards would come around the corner. Any minute, something would happen to bring all his actions to nothing.

No.

We got this.

"Icarus?"

It wasn't guards who saw them first. It was Cas.

Her eyes widened with understanding when she saw the Ring survivors behind him, putting together his association them with the alarms.

"I have to do this," he told her.

And then they were moving forward again, racing the clock on their chance of making it out of here.

We got this.