Durga: Parvati's Plan

Indra looked at Parvati with confusion.

"How, my lady?" he asked. "By sending a woman to fight, obviously," she said."Do you know any Goddesses who are powerful enough to defeat him?" Indra asked. "Of course, Lord Indra," Parvati replied, smiling as Indra questioned, "And who would this woman be?"

"Me," Parvati simply replied, "I will go and fight with Mahisha myself."

Indra was flabbergasted, "Do you have an army to lead against them then?" "No, King of Gods," Parvati laughed, "I am going to challenge him to a direct duel."

Indra choked back a surprised noise. "My lady, I know you are very powerful but fighting Mahisha is beyond anyone's capability," he tried reasoning with her. "Are you saying that I cannot defeat him, Indra?" Parvati asked, her eyes glittering dangerously. "No, no, I didn't mean that, I... " Indra fumbled for words, nervous of Parvati's wrath, "It is just that he is almost invincible. It would be a risk to your life if you tried to duel with him."

"I know my wife, King," Shiva said calmly, "And I know very well that she would handle it. But of course, we'll help her as much as we can." "So what are we going to do?" Indra asked.

"I am going to call forth the warrior in me through meditation," said Parvati, "You can donate some of your energy to me if you want to help me." Indra opened his mouth to protest but Vishnu cut him off. "I support this decision," he said, turning serious, "Only Devi Parvati can accomplish this feat." "It is fitting that Mahisha meets his end at Parvati's hands," Brahma nodded. "So, it's settled then," Parvati smiled charmingly at them and said, "I am going to take an incarnation."