Chapter 2

Preparations were being put in place for the new Alpha's arrival, and my pack, though calm on the outside, was anxiously waiting for him to get here so that we could get back to pack business.

In the meantime, I was preparing my pack for what to do when he arrived.

"He will probably bring about 10 warrior wolves with him, but not his Beta, who will be looking after his pack back home, usually this wouldn't be a threat but as we have no history with this pack we need to be prepared." I checked to make sure everyone was listening.

I nodded, satisfied that they were giving me their full attention and continued, "Do not let them into the buildings without consulting me or Blaine first, you should never find yourself alone with one of the wolves, if it is a warrior you will need 3 of you with them, despite your title, if it is the alpha then it is 5, and if any of them try anything you will mind link me immediately, understood?" I asked.

My pack gave confirming nods.

"Good, now this pack is a potential alley, so make them feel welcome, but not to the point where they think they can walk all over us, show them we are strong, and willing to fight if the need to arises."

I looked towards Blaine to see if he wanted to add anything and he gave me a slight shake of the head.

"That will be all, now can all of the over 30s please go and help clear a path from the west side of the pack by the frozen lake to the main pack entrance, make it narrow, only enough for one wolf or two humans to get by at a time to prevent attack."

The 15 or so wolves went out to go through with my orders while me and Blaine decided to run the perimeter.

Shifting into our wolves, I noticed how much Blaine's fur had changed since he joined a pack, as a rogue his fur colour was a muddy brown, but now it glistened a beautiful deep red that greatly contrasted with my white fur.

I didn't fight much in wolf form, I found that it was easier to be in control in human, and although I loved the thrill of fighting in wolf form, sometimes you could win just by having a bit of control. Fortunately I was good at keeping control.

But the absolute rush that I got from just running in wolf form was enough to make the breath get knocked out of me.

I worked well with Blaine, we had learnt our best skills off of each other s0 of course we would work well as partners, a part of me had wanted us to be mates, back when I was younger, hadn't really understood how much a mate could hold you back.

I'm glad we didn't turn out to be mates, it would have made our relationship so much more complicated.

We were very close, and yes, we had 'benefited' from each other's presence in the past, but it meant nothing to either of us. Nothing at all.

Back when it was only a few months after my pack had died, I had still been fairly innocent. Blaine said I needed to be stronger, to lose my innocence. I was 16, he was 24. But it worked for us.

He helped me become stronger. Human laws didn't apply to us. I knew that if I wanted to become stronger I had to lose the little girl part of me. I had to break past it.

Neither of us had found our mates. I knew that Blaine hoped too, he had never wanted the rogue life, he had always yearned to be in a pack, he didn't care about position, that was why he was perfect for beta. I knew he would never try to overthrow me because he simply didn't care enough to want to be alpha.

Now don't get me wrong, he is very devoted to the pack, but loyal to me. He would never take my title from me, not that he could.

Being alpha could be tough.