FOUR

Four | arguments

The silence on the room was almost suffocating. Tony had run off as soon as the fight had ended and tried to get to JARVIS. But JARVIS wouldn't respond. At least not yet.

"All our work is gone," Dr Banner said as he went through the files on the computer. "Ultron cleared out, used the internet as an escape hatch."

Steve scoffed, obviously not very happy about the turn of the events, "Ultron," He mumbled under his breath as if he couldn't believe it.

"He's been in everything," Natasha said. "Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other."

"That's a comforting thought," I mumbled under my breath.

"He's in your files, he's in the internet," Rhodey said as he straightened up. "What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?"

"Nuclear codes," Maria said as she turned to the rest of us. She was sitting in a chair and ice pack pressed to her leg.

"Nuclear codes," Rhodey agreed with a nod. "Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can."

"Nukes?" Natasha asked. "He said he wanted us dead."

"He didn't say dead," Steve said. "He said extinct."

"He also said he killed somebody," Clint added.

"But there wasn't anyone else in the building," Maria said with a confused look on her face. She was right. We were the only people in the building at the time.

"Yes there was," Tony said in a tired voice. He brought up the now destroyed image of JARVIS' consciousness. I sucked in a deep breath.

Dr Banner walked to the image a dumbfounded look on his face. His held out his hands, at first unable say a word. "This is insane," he finally said.

"JARVIS was the first line of defense. He would've shut Ultron down, it makes sense," Steve said.

"That does not look like defense," I spoke up.

"No, It doesn't," Dr Banner agreed. "Ultron could've assimilated Jarvis. This isn't strategy, this is... rage."

Suddenly, Thor walked into the room and took hold of Tony by his throat and held him up. I stiffened slightly just like everyone else in the room.

"Woah, woah, woah!" Clint said. "It's going around."

"Come on. Use your words, buddy," Tony said, as usual unable to be serious even when the situation demanded it.

"I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark," Thor practically spat out.

"Thor!" Steve shouted. "The Legionnaire."

He finally let go of Tony and turned to address us. "Trail went cold about a hundred miles out but it's headed north, and it has the scepter. Now we have to retrieve it, again,"

"The genie's out of that bottle. Clear and present is Ultron," Natasha said.

"I don't understand," Helen said, panic still in her eyes. "You built this program. Why is it trying to kill us?"

Tony started laughing, Banner subtly shook his head at him to get him to stop but he continued anyway.

"Tony..." I mumbled.

"You think this is funny?" Thor asked, clearly annoyed.

"No. It's probably not, right?" Tony said mockingly. "Is this very terrible? Is it so... is it so ...it is. It's so terrible."

"This could've been avoided if you hadn't played with something you don't understand," Thor snapped.

Tomy didn't seem very happy with that answer. "No, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. It is funny. It's a hoot that you don't get why we need this."

"Tony, maybe this might not be the time to..." Banner mumbled softly.

"Really?" Tony snapped. "That's it? You just roll over, show your belly, every time somebody snarls."

"Only when I've created a murder bot," Banner said.

"We didn't," Tomy snapped. "We weren't even close. Were we close to an interface?"

"Well, you did something Right," Steve started, "and you did it right here. The Avengers were supposed to be different than SHIELD."

"Anybody remember when I carried a nuke through a wormhole?" Tony started.

"No, no no no. Please not now..." I said, knowing that Tony was going for the full on pep talk.

"No, it's never come up," Rhodey mumbled sarcastically.

"Saved New York?" Tony continued. I sighed.

"Never heard that," Rhodey mumbled.

"Recall that?" Tony asked, "A hostile alien army came charging through a hole in space. We're standing three hundred feet below it. We're the Avengers. We can bust arms dealers all the live long day, but, that up there? That's... that's the end game. How were you guys planning on beating that?"

"Together," Steve said. Typical. I wasn't expecting any other answer.

"We'll lose," Tony said sounding really bummed.

"Then we'll do that together too," Tony looked at him for a moment before turning away.

"Thor's right. Ultron's calling us out," Steve said, "and I'd like to find him before he's ready for us. The world's a big place. Let's start making it smaller."

✳✳✳

Not a very event full chapter. Pretty much all of it is dialogue and I want to apologize for that. Clarke doesn't have a really big part in this chapter either. But next chapter should be fun. Clarke isn't an avenger, but you'll see how she gets involved in this mission.
I'm actually thinking about writing a peter parker fanfic. What are your thoughts on that? Would you read it?

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Please consider giving a vote or leaving a comment to let me know what you think!