Chapter Five: Reflection and Anticipation

Unbeknownst to Edward, his aunt had been watching for his return to the ballroom. From the moment he arrived this evening, he had done nothing more than what was expected of him. One dance, with a rather pathetic looking girl, then he had retired to the room set aside for cards.

Herriot had begun to think his attendance for her birthday was a waste of time, until she noticed he seemed to be watching someone. Wishing to have a better view, she rose from her chair by the wall and moved closer seeking the subject of his intrigue. She saw nothing unusual... until he pulled away from leaning against the side of the doorjamb. His gaze focused on someone in particular. She followed the line of his interest and noticed a young lady stepping through the adjoining patio doors unattended. A sly, satisfied expression appeared on her nephew's face as he followed her out onto the patio.

To observe his actions, she moved closer to the doors and, to her astonishment, saw him begin to dance with her. A tryst at her birthday disappointed her immensely. She knew they had not been introduced tonight. Edward arrived after the Baron and his family had been through the receiving line. The child's mother had obviously neglected to give her the Debrett's Peerage, a rather fine book on decorum and important rules of etiquette. She dismissed the chit as a conquest for her nephew's amusement and returned to her friends.

* * *

Hours later, a disappointed Gabriella was wrapped in a dark blue velvet cape as her parents escorted her out to the family coach. Once they were settled inside, her father leaned back and reflected on the gentlemen who approached him requesting to escort his beautiful daughter on an outing. For days it had been this way. Every morning young gentlemen began arriving, either leaving their card, flowers, or filling the parlor in hopes of speaking with him and a chance of seeing her. But when he asked if she wished to see them, not one gentleman had tempted her. Not even for a ride in the park. She preferred the stable boy for an escort.

Before they made the journey to London, he considered the odious task of helping his daughter choose a husband. Her fortune would transfer to her husband, leaving her vulnerable to his treatment of her. She would have no legal or moral standing in what her husband chose concerning her. So, he divided her allotment in half. One part would be given as a dowry, and the other half would be given to her alone. Any man wishing to marry her would sign a release. The act would also prove the intentions of the man. If said gentleman ever mistreated his daughter, he would build her a home on Staffordshire out of the reach of such a deplorable ingrate. Though, bringing her back home under his roof would suit him best.

As her father, he would protect her as long as he could, but his first and foremost job was making sure mistakes weren't made beforehand. In short, he would dig into their lives until he knew every detail.

This very night he had been sitting by the fire with a drink when a tall gentleman approached. He bowed before he introduced himself as the Marquess of Greystone, nephew of Marchioness Darby, their hostess. John invited him to join him, and once seated, the Marquess requested an introduction to his daughter explaining he had arrived late to the ball.

To date, many young men had approached him concerning Gabriella, but Lord Greystone admitted to seeing her speaking with who he assumed was her mother. As her father, he appreciated being approached for the honors of such an introduction, instead of requesting his aunt do so. After a discussion, it was readily agreed upon.

The topic then changed to the debates recently held in the House of Lords, and John learned of the Marquess attendance. Because John was in trade, he spoke of the fine furs arriving from Montana. It was during this discussion Lord Greystone spoke of his merchantmen ships which traveled to the Americas.

Once he departed, John knew that his job of approving a husband would be much simpler if she settled on the Marquess of Greystone. To learn more, he spoke to others concerning his standing. Most called him Lord Grey. The shortened version of Greystone was more to his liking. They admired his patience with the younger inexperienced men attending the House of Lords.