Chapter Ten: Embarrassment

The coach pulled to a stop then rocked as the driver climbed down. Edward leaned forward and released the catch of the handle for the coachman. The door opened and the steps lowered. He climbed down, and then she moved to the door. Instead of offering his hand, he took her by the waist and brought her down beside him. When he did, the shawl fell from her shoulders to hang at the bend of her arms, which revealed the front of her dress and gave him a good view of her breasts.

He stared at the luscious sight before him, simultaneously noting the movement of his driver as he raised the steps and closed the door. Edward did not wish for Gabriella's exposure to be seen, nor did he want to cover her up. The coachman climbed to his perch and, with a snap of the reins, moved the coach towards the back of the mansion.

Once Edward was assured they were alone, he stared back down at her, saying, "That dress needs to go back to the dressmaker. She neglected to add material to the bodice."

His bold opinion agreed with hers, but they had just begun to court and this topic was most inappropriate. "I should go home and change my gown. I tried to wear a fichu, but Mother would not allow it."

"I see I will need to speak with your father on this subject."

"You dare to speak to him on such a topic? He will know where your eyes were drawn. This is the latest French design and my mother would not be happy to learn you disapprove. I shall wear my wrap."

As bold as brass, he grabbed the top of her gown and tried to hike it up. The result wiggled her breasts and embarrassed him. She had stood perfectly still without saying a word. Very slowly he removed his fingers from inside her bodice feeling how incredibly soft and supple she was as he did so. Her face turned as bright as a red rose.

"I do beg your pardon. I forget myself."

She swallowed trying to recover her voice. "I tried that as well, but was warned the gown would tear." His eyes automatically returned to her breasts. "Do not worry, it fits securely. May I borrow your decorative handkerchief?" He pulled the gray satin from his suit pocket and handed it to her. She worked with the fold, turned her back to him, and began stuffing it inside her bodice. When she turned back, the grey silk looked to be part of the dress.

"Very clever, my dear." His eyes lingered a bit longer before he realized what he did. The moment his eyes rose to her face, he caught her giggling. The little chit was laughing at him. He considered kissing her until that giggle began a moan. Instead, he ignored his desire. "Should we wait for your parents?"

"Did you fail to see the look on my father's face as we left? They will be late."

"How should I respond to such a statement, minx? Come along, we should go inside." He offered his arm and they strolled towards the house.

Before they reached the front door she asked, "When did you move to London?"

"Three years ago."

"Father told me that you own a shipping line. You've traveled the world, haven't you?"

"A good portion of it," he said while noticing the excitement in her eyes.

"I have often dreamed of such sights. Perhaps you could share stories of your adventures with me. Is it wonderful?"

He recognized her hunger for adventure. "It can be, but crossing the seas can be tedious enough to yearn for land. You are used to the activities of country life. I imagine you seldom grow listless of the day to day activities."

"That's true. I love to ride and enjoy the outdoors, but when the weather keeps me indoors, I enjoy other sport or find a book and read. I must warn you, I'm considered a bluestocking." When he only grinned, she continued, "I enjoy Gothic novels and most of the works of William Shakespeare, but I also enjoy reading Aristotle and Utopian Literature. Do you have time for such entertainment?"