2. A Silhouette Passed

My spines felt like it was electrocuted. My father caught me eavesdropping from their conversation and now I don't know exactly what to do. I can't come up with any clever excuses this time.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, his voice was low, but I know he's trying to control his anger. "You think I don't know you're here the whole time?"

"Dad, I –" I begun.

"Whatever you heard back there, it's none of your business. Forget them."

I stepped backwards to stop him from gripping my shirt. Somehow, I'm thinking that I won't let this conversation end without knowing the truth. He wanted me to forget what they had talked about, but I know I can't. I was involved. I had the right to know what it was about. It made me even more curious.

"I won't," I said.

"You what? Chris, look, I'm tired. This is no time for–"

"But, I heard the woman saying something about me!" I continued. "What am I in danger of?"

Angry tears started to form from my eyes the moment I said the word 'danger'. Not because something could happen to me accidentally like I'm going to be tripped, but because I knew I didn't do anything bad that should make me face an unpredictable menace. This must either be crazy or the visitors are just insane.

"Chris! Stop your complaining this instant!"

"I can't do that. I know they're talking about me! Dad, please, I need to know." I half demanded, half begged.

"I told you, you just forget it. Alright, you were mentioned. There. But you're fine and still will be as long as you're here."

Dad was already pissed off. I could see it in his eyes that he wanted me to stop asking. But I still didn't get it. Why are this weird stuff happening? "Fine? Dad, they're giving a warning. What does it mean? And who were those people anyway...?"

My questions blurted out from my mouth continuously. I was asking him all the questions hanging inside my head just because of what happened back at the living room. Dad was pacing in the room again and again. To be honest, I'm afraid he's going to explode.

And then suddenly, I hit the break.

"Chris!" Dad yelled in front of me, slamming the table beside with such force that it shook the vase on top. His roar slammed my mouth shut. The veins in his neck are already evident and he was breathing hard. "Stop this nonsense right now and don't talk to me like that! I am your father and I know what's best for you. I'm doing this to protect you. Now if you don't stop, I swear to God I'm going to hit you."

I hesitated to speak again. And then I was thinking about annoying him more.

"Protect me from what?" I asked sheepishly.

"From them!" Dad bellowed at once, his red, tired eyes set on me. His finger was pointed at the door. I'm not sure what exactly is he pointing, but I didn't get it why he pointed at the door.

There's a moment of silence in the room. My eyes settled on the floor, feeling a bit guilty, precisely because I can't look at his eyes. Now, I was so scared to know who he was talking about, or what he meant by them.

He removed his glasses and turned against me. He was covering his eyes with the back of his right hand, and the left one was cupped on his hip. It was the first time I saw him like that, I mean, crying. I know he's crying and I don't know how to react. I somehow regret pushing him to tell me the truth and at the same time annoy him.