...What? (14)

That night, I don't get a wink of sleep. I know the joys of flying firsthand and can't imagine going back to the way my life was before.

So when sleep threatens to claim me, I persist.

By the time the sun peaks over the horizon, the actual tail fin is done, as well as the design for the mechanism for Toothless to operate it, but the parts are so intricate and precise that it will take at least another day to construct.

I've been using my tail as a guide, just scaled to fit Toothless's tail. At first, I thought about using his other tail fin to control this one's position, but then I realized that he needs them in different positions to turn, like I do.

Now, however, it will be far more complex.

Gobber barges into the smithy a while later, and I'm glad that I decided to disguise myself should anyone else do the same. "Hiccup! Figured you might be here since ya weren't at the house. Jus' came to let ya know that trainin'll be startin' soon. Watcha workin' on there, lad?"

I sigh, "A prosthetic tail fin for Toothless. Th-the bola ripped one off, and he needs to be able to fly."

He nods, walking over to get a better look. "Noble thing you're doin'," he says, pausing to look over my sketches. "Welp, I'd best be off. See ya in the ring later. You'll be facin' the zippleback today. That one's crazy as the twins!"

I chuckle a little as Gobber walks away, and I clean up my work area. Can't have anyone seeing all this.

As usual, I once again stop by the docks for breakfast, but this time, something catches my nose. It is foul and in all ways horrible and...reminds me of something Toothless told me a while back.

With a smirk, I take the offending object and hide it under my vest. Hello, plan B.

* * * * * * *

A noxious, green gas permeates the air, creating a cover for the dragon to hide within.

I hear its hissing whispers and laughs as it knocks down my peers from behind its veil. This dragon hasn't been locked up long enough to be drained of sanity, though from what I can tell, it had less than the average amount to begin with.

My back is to Fishlegs as a serpentine head peers through the mist, and in a panic, Fishlegs tosses his bucket of water over the head, only to be rewarded with a blast of gas, chasing him away.

Soon enough, I am before the tall dragon, both heads looking down on me. I toss the bucket of water towards the head that ignites the gas, but it merely pulls its head away and laughs.

"Ooh, look at this little one, thinks he's so strong," the left head says.

"And all the other ones have already run off," the right one says, peering at me. I take a second to glance around the arena to see everyone else off a short distance away, out of ear shot.

"Perhaps he's just stupid," the first head offers snidely.

"And perhaps you're just oblivious," I say, taking a bold step towards the dragon. Overwhelmed by the shock of finding I understand them as well as the nauseating smell permeating the air, they draw back into their cage.

Lifting one side of my vest reveals a deceased eel as the source of the stench, which I quickly toss into the middle of the cage. "Now think about what you've done," I say to the unruly, though currently cowering dragon before closing the impenetrable doors.

Upon turning around, however, I am caught off guard by the utterly dumbfounded gazes of my peers. "Okay! Sooo... are we done here? 'Cause I have some things I need to, uh... yeah," I stutter awkwardly while heading for the forge.

* * * * * * *

It's nearly dawn again, and I am just about to collapse from the lack of sleep over the past couple days, but it's worth it. It's done. Toothless will be able to fly again!

With a satisfied smile stretching across my dragon-like features, sleep takes me over at my desk in the forge.

* * * * * * *

(Fishlegs' POV)

"AAAH!"

I shriek upon the sight before me. Well, I don't really know what it is. All I wanted was to ask Hiccup for some spare paper and maybe a charcoal pencil, but once I caught sight of the figure at his desk, all active thought processes shut down.

Instantly, the figure startles awake and falls to the floor, appendages at odd angles. He's wearing a grayish tunic with darker pants and has raven black hair, but his skin is covered in black dragon scales. He even has a tail! And his ears and nails are very, very pointy.

He turns to me with forest green eyes that are slit like a dragon's and clearly muddled from exhaustion. Upon opening his mouth to speak, I catch a glimpse of his razor-sharp teeth and give an inaudible squeak. "'S too early," he mumbles indistinguishably.

Thor, he's the creature from the last raid! Oh nonono, he's gonna rip out my throat and eat me alive!

But I can't move.

He closes his eyes again and sighs as he sits on the stool and looks at me blearily, resting his head on his...sharp...hand. "Fishleeeegs," he groans in an oddly familiar voice. "Whaddya wan'?" he asks rather irritably. What? What is happening here?

My mouth opens and closes like a fish, which is about the only motor control I have over my body right now.

The figure sighs again, "'S paper, isn' it? I'll getcha some paper. Got an extra pencil for you, too." He moves again and takes up a small stack of paper, handing it to me along with the pencil. He's really acting like-

"H-Hiccup?" I ask quietly, to which he nods deftly.

"Come on, I'm hungry." He makes to leave, and I can do little else in my state but follow.

On the way to the food storage house, Hiccup yawns continuously. "Hey, Hoark," he says to the Viking mid-yawn, who freezes in his tracks, looking like a dear in the light of a dragon's blast.

"'Morning, Helga," he greets the stout woman, who has a very similar reaction. When she glances to me, I give a very non-committal shrug.

Soon enough, we reach the storage, out of which he grabs a small basket of berries, of all things. We pass by Bucket and Mulch while leaving, and Hiccup, of course, greets them. "Hey, Bucket. Hey, Mulch."

Mulch has a very similar expression to the others, but Bucket being Bucket responds, "Good morning scary little dragon boy!" He then proceeds to skip into the storage house.

This finally seems to process in Hiccup's mind as he freezes, slowly peering down at himself. Almost immediately, and almost tangible anxiety washes over him as his fearful eyes take in his surroundings.

Suddenly, two sleek, black wings appear in a torrent of flame, and he shoots off toward the forest. The instant he is gone, reason returns to my muddled mind.

"...WAAAAIT!"

Hey! Feels good to finally update again. Sorry 'bout that. 😬 Anyways, credit for the walking through the town idea goes to the one and only friking-awsom-kitten so thank you so much!

~Dj Z3nyth