Fantasy SubGenres - A Basic Guide by Lost_In_A_Dream

Fantasy Subgenres

by @Lost_In_A_Dream

          Fantasy is a very broad genre that and has a wide variety of subgenres. Though many associate fantasy with elves, fairies, etc. that is only a small amount of what can be considered fantasy. This is just a simple guide to the major subgenres of fantasy.

        High Fantasy - This is a very broad subgenre. It stems from ancient epics and involves some sort of quest. It also usually takes place in another world. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien and The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle are examples of high fantasy.

        Epic Fantasy - Usually related to high fantasy, but with slightly different elements. It involves a battle between good vs. evil and often includes war. A common aspect of this genre is that it normally includes a large cast of characters and usually is made up of multiple books. Some examples are Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.

        Low Fantasy - The opposite of high fantasy, traditional fantasy elements don’t play a major role in the story. It generally takes place in the “real” world and focuses on things such as characters and plot, rather than magic. The Borrowers by Mary Norton and The Green Mile by Stephen King are both part of this genre.

        Dark Fantasy - Dark fantasy is fantasy that is related to horror. It often includes demons, vampires (the scary kind, not the sparkly kind), and other similar monsters. It is all about atmosphere and often contains gothic and paranormal elements. Some examples include Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles and The Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman.

        Mythic Fantasy - This is fantasy that has to do with mythology, often Greek or Roman. Common characters include gods and goddesses and many other inhuman creatures with magical powers. Some examples are American Gods by Neil Gaiman and The Earthsea Series by Ursula K. Le Guin.

        Paranormal- Through paranormal is considered its own genre on wattpad; it is really just a branch of fantasy. It’s very similar to urban fantasy and usually takes place in a city with fantasy characters like ghosts, vampires, and werewolves. Also included in this subgenre is paranormal romance, which is extremely popular today. The majority of popular vampire stories are considered paranormal.

Reference: http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/fantasy-genre.php

Editors Note: I would like to encourage you to let us know if there are other genres of fantasy that should be included here. Please feel free to strike up a conversation about the many possible subgrenres and subgenres you feel there might be within those! Eventually, we plan to post a list of subgenre definitions much like @ForbiddenPlanet, and your thoughts and opinions are invaluable. Thank you!