Chapter 10 : Empty

I couldn't answer back. It was just so shocking to hear his voice again.

"Simmons?" There was a hint of uncertainty in his voice, as if he now thought that he dialed the wrong number.

"Wolf," I answered, still stunned.

"Do you have a moment. I need to talk to you."

I mentally cringed when I thought of the possibilities. "Go ahead."

"In person."

"Why?"

"It's not something I would like to talk about through the phone."

I hesitated. "Sure."

"I'll text you the address." Wolf hung up as soon as he said that.

"Who was that?" I had forgotten that Alexander was still standing in front of my table and had probably heard the entire conversation from my perspective.

My mouth couldn't answer him as took a pill and swallowed it with water.

What was the point of being stubbornly proud when your head is about to kill you and you're about to go meet someone you'd need all your wits to face?

I picked up my cellphone, grabbed my wallet and looked for car keys. Upon remembering that Alexander drove us here and that he had the keys, I stretched out my right arm towards him with my palm up.

"Car keys."

Alexander eyed my sudden actions oddly and looked at me questioningly.

"I-" I stopped when I saw the only door to this room open, revealing Emmaline and Victor.

"Vita!" Emmaline smiled brightly as she bounced over to me and gave me a tight hug. "Thank you for today."

I tensed and patted her head awkwardly. I wasn't used to giving hugs.

"Avery and I were pretty good friends before but I don't know, maybe she got jealous," Emmaline spoke quietly to me as she let go. "They've been bugging me for a little while now but they were never aggressive until today. So, thank you." Her smile was so sweet and innocent that I could hardly believe she was a year older than me.

I gave her a small smile of my own. "Don't worry about it."

Emmaline turned to Alexander and gave him her best scowl, which was more cute than intimidating. "Don't get mad at Vita. She was protecting me and they probably deserved it."

I didn't notice it before, but Alexander's face became a blank slate as soon as both Emmaline and Victor walked in.

"I'll keep that in mind," Alexander answered back, his voice cold and calm.

Emmaline studied him for a second before nodding. "Good." She went back to her desk and Victor went to his.

"Car keys," I whispered to Alexander so the others wouldn't hear.

"I'll take you," Alexander told me equally as quiet.

I glared at him disbelievingly. "No."

When I looked at him and saw that he wasn't going to budge, I rubbed my eyes and sighed. "Fine."

There was a hint of triumph in his dark greys and it irked me to see it, but there was nothing I could do since I really shouldn't piss him off even more today.

"We'll be back in a bit." Alexander informed Victor and Emmaline before we walked out the door together, unfortunately.

*