7) Reunions & Sudden Feelings

A week has passed and now, we are preparing ourselves for meeting Mama's family. Her family consist of granny, an old woman who is angry most of the times. There is mother's sister, Aunt Mildred. She is a very quiet woman but she is definitely a lovely one. Her daughter, Daphne who is just like my sister but less selfish while Bernard is that lovely quiet man who will listen to all your problems without complaining. And there is mother's cousin, Uncle Vincent or as papa calls him, trouble.

That week was very interesting. Every afternoon, Cecelia and I would go to Meg's house and stay until evening. Luckily, I would spend a few minutes alone with Mr. Denton. Although he seems very happy with Cecelia, I think that he confides in me more. But since he doesn't think so, he spends most of his time with Cecelia laughing and talking.

Dr Reeve always arrives an hour before we leave. And he always spends it talking to me.

We are, now waiting for Mama's family with Mrs. Walsh, Mr. Denton and Dr Reeve. I was so excited to meet Bernard that I waited by the window to see them when they arrive. Bernard is very close to me that I consider him my older brother. Once I saw the carriage, I ran to them shouting

"They are here, they are here!"

After the salutes and greetings, we sat in a room and started talking. By time, Uncle Vincent became bored and left. Mama, granny, Aunt Mildred and Cecelia sat talking and as always... I was replaced. Now, Dr Reeve is talking with my dear cousin, Daphne. I don't mind, really but I am mad that I am replaced by someone again.

"Henry, dear!" Granny called after father who was talking to Mr. Denton, "why does your family look so pale?"

My father frowned, "what do you mean by pale?"

"Can't you see?" She exclaimed and now, everyone was looking at her, "my daughter has lost half her weight, Cecelia looks ill and Amelia," she stopped and looked at me, "oh, I can't even describe it"

Both father and I had our eyebrows raised as we looked at each other.

Does she want to cause a fight?

"I am very well, granny," I said as polite as I can, "thank you for your concern"

"When was the last time you looked at the mirror?"

I smiled just because I didn't know what else to do, "this morning, why?"

"You look terrible!" She said very... Bluntly.

Bernard chuckled silently next to me, I gave him a look that shut him up and returned my gaze to my dear grandmother.

"I won't allow you to insult my daughter in front of me," papa's voice was a little louder than usual.

"It's fine, papa," I said still looking at her, "I am sitting away from granny, maybe she has a problem with her eyes that's why she thinks that I look terrible"

Papa, Bernard, Dr Reeve, Mr. Denton and Meg gave a silent laugh.

"Amelia!" mama shouted.

"Yes, mama," I said innocently.

"Apologize to your grandmother at once"

I thought about giving a smart reply but then I noticed that I technically, insulted her in front of everyone. So I bit my tongue, "sorry, granny, I didn't mean to hurt you"

She looked away and muttered, "Just like her father!"

Papa winked at me then continued his conversation with Mr Denton.

I hope he doesn't tell him anything about his father.

Bernard was looking angrily at Daphne and Dr Reeve. As strange as it sounds, Bernard is so attached to Daphne that he gets jealous of men who talk to her.