14 | Nightmare

"We'll split into two groups," Rhode announced. "The more experienced hunters will follow Lady Inna. Those of you who haven't been on a taki hunt, or just aren't as familiar with it, will stick with me. We're going to start at the usual burrow and sweep out from there. As you know, they're dangerous creatures. Do not get caught alone.

"If there is a taki living there, Lady Inna's party will approach first. Whomever she chooses will lure the boar out with a song. Your jobs, both the front and back line, are to have your spear butts to the ground and your senses on high alert. When the taki comes charging out, I want you prepared to skewer it.

"Beyond that, feel free to shoot what you see on the way there and on the way back. Dalphie's promised a feast, so we best give her something to work with!"

There was a murmur of agreement on all sides.

"My group will lead the way," Inna said. "Let's go."

Within moments of Inna's words, the entire party-- minus the few who were with Dalphie-- had filed out into the forest. Like when she'd snuck out to meet with Kain, the group didn't bother with the trails and plunged directly into the undergrowth. Unlike before, however, they traveled in utter silence. Well, for the most part. The sirens seemed to instinctively know where to step to avoid anything that might make a sound. In turn, it made everything she stepped on sound earth shattering.

Inna seemed far too amused by this, while the majority of the sirens in their party were anything but. It took everything Iliana had not to point out she was a sailor, not a hunter or some sort of thief. She'd learned balance and speed, not how to move without sound. As such, she felt a faint sense of relief when Rhode paused and signaled for the two groups to split. Those with Inna followed the goddess, while everyone in Rhode's spread out as the siren pointed out where she wanted them. Iliana ended up with a scowl on her lips as Rhode instructed her to stand behind the second line of sirens as a "lookout" in case they missed something. It was far enough back that as the group surrounded the burrow, Iliana couldn't even see the back of the person before her. This earned her an apologetic smile from Rhode before the siren moved to take up position in the center of the second line.

Telling herself that it didn't matter, she hadn't expected to be given a chance to kill the taki either way, Iliana took a deep breath and shoved the butt of her spear into the ground. The earth was soft, easily giving beneath the weight. She wasn't sure whether to be grateful, or apprehensive about this matter. If the boar did make it to her, what would happen if her spear slipped? She gave a small shake of her head. It didn't matter either way, the good dozen feet between her and the next row, then the ten feet between them and the row before them, ensured she'd see no action.

A few more silent minutes passed as she studied the trees, attempting to catch sight of what was going on. Then, the singing began. It was a low, welcoming melody. No words were spoken, just a single voice calling into the air for far longer than Iliana'd known possible. Her heart began to beat heavily and Iliana dug her heels into the soft earth as well. A large part of her urged her to seek out the voice. It was completely different from the simple song that'd bewitched her crew. Even she could feel the pull.

The voice suddenly cut off, and Iliana released a breath she didn't remember holding. A series of warning calls and the sound of shuffling feet met her ears. Then, a loud growl and the sound of something crashing through the undergrowth. It seemed the plan had worked. Envy brushed the back of her mind as one of the sirens whose name she'd forgotten taunted the boar her way. If only she could see what was going on. Surely if they had such a good hold on matters it didn't matter if Iliana got closer...

She'd barely taken the step when the sound of something shuffling through the trees behind her froze Iliana in place. Tuning out the fight ahead of her, she focused her senses on the brush as she spun around. Ice filled her veins as her eyes picked up on the barely visible, large black boar that paused a dozen feet away, then snorted. Its tusks were easily a foot long, jutting out from its jaw, then curling up towards the boar's head. The tips were ominously pointed.