18 | An Offer

Dread and anger thumbed through Kain's system in equal measure as he threw open the door. Time seemed to slow as he took in the room. Mara was half-knelt at Kyril's side, looking as if she'd just been dragged from the bunk bed by her hair. One of his hands was still buried in her locks, the other wrapped around her throat. He'd forcibly angled her chin towards his face.

Her wide eyes shot towards where Kain stood in the doorway, her fingers just barely dug between her throat and Kyril's hand. Instant regret filled Kain as he realized he'd left his sword at his bedside. If the furious expression the other man wore was any indication, words weren't going to be enough to defuse the situation.

"Get out." Kyril's demand was cold, yet expectant. As if there wasn't a single doubt in his mind that his order would be followed. "And I will ignore your blatant trespassing."

Kain narrowed his eyes, pausing just inside the doorway. Rushing the couple would do little good given Mara's compromising position. The woman's expression seemed to plead with him to leave things be--making him all the more determined to intervene.

"Release her," he countered.

Kyril offered a hollow smile, dragging Mara up by her hair and prompting a pained gasp from her lips. It took everything Kain had to stay still as the man released her throat and wrapped his now free arm around her stomach, pulling his wife flat against him.

A faint thud hit the window behind them, but Kain didn't dare shift his gaze.

"I'm afraid you might be a bit confused. She's fine where she is," Kyril said, voice smug. "Not that this is any of your business, but my wife enjoys things a bit rough. She's enjoying herself, aren't you, dear?"

For a moment, Kain wasn't sure Mara would respond. Her eyes were flicking between Kain and Kyril, an obvious debate going on in her mind. It wasn't until several more thuds echoed through the room that she seemed to come to some conclusion. She swallowed, her expression mirroring the urgency filling Kain's veins. Whatever decision she'd made, he had a feeling it was out of fear.

Mara was terrified of what might come next.

"I-I am," she whispered. "I... there's no need for you to worry about me."

Her voice was hoarse. Even if he hadn't been eavesdropping on their argument before recklessly rushing in, Kain would've heard the obvious lie. Her words were colored with the same, fearful concern that she'd spoken with in the alleyway. He swore internally as the thought prompted a harsh realization.

Her husband still had what had to be a painful grip on her hair, and was no doubt the cause of the bruise he'd seen earlier, but she was worried about Kain.

He drew in a deep breath, determination flooding his system. He had no clue how he was going to do it, but he was going to defuse this situation without her getting hurt.

"I'm afraid I can't help it," he replied aloud, mind racing. "Worrying just comes natural to me."

As he spoke, some part of him took notice that the rest of his group had filled the doorway behind him. The growing number of eyes on him seemed to make Kyril more unstable. He took a step backwards, arm tightening to what had to be a painful degree around Mara's middle.

"I'll have you know that I could have your heads for this," he retorted. "Intruding on us like this. I'm an ambassador and--"

Kyril cut off as Melitta not-so-subtly offered Kain his sword, sheath and all. The man scoffed as Kain made a show of pulling the blade out, then turned it towards the couple. Much like Iliana, Kain had never moved people with charm. One would think that was something that he'd be able to manage--given his heritage--but it just wasn't him. He figured there was a far less chance that someone would get injured with him waving his weapon around than there was if he tried to handle the situation with fancy words.