Ice Skating and Pluto

A/N: At the time of this one-shot, Ronet and Sylvan are not yet lovers, but they are good friends who are falling in love with each other.

To give a bit of background, Sylvan is Chinese, and Ronet is half Japanese, half Chinese.

~

Sylvan grinned. "Catch me if you can." He pushed off with his skates and flew across the ice.

Ronet grumbled. Sylvan was being so unfair. Ronet had only just learned how to ice skate. Despite how much Sylvan liked to downplay his own ice-skating skills, he was still terrific compared to Ronet. It was also night time, so light came only from the moon and the street lamps in the park near the pond.

Ronet called out, "I can't catch you! How can I?"

Sylvan laughed from a long distance ahead as he shouted back, "That's too bad! You need to try anyway!" And he continued to zoom towards the opposite end of the frozen pond.

Ronet cursed and stomped towards the other boy. That handsome and aggravating, and adorable, boy.

"Sylvan!" Ronet yelled out in protest.

Sylvan had reached the other end of the icy shore, and he waved with a teasing grin on his face.

Ronet stomped on clumsily, and hopelessly, while Sylvan kept moving so that he was always on the furthest side from Ronet.

Sylvan. That little, beautiful beast.

But it was too scary for Ronet to glide on his skates like he was supposed to, rather than to just walk awkwardly as he was doing now. And hey, at least he still hadn't fallen.

That was when it hit him.

Hiding a mischievous smile, Ronet cried out, wobbled desperately, and fell onto the ice. His hands and knees hurt immensely, and the ice felt harder and colder than he had remembered.

Triumph leapt into his heart nevertheless when he heard the swish of skates shooting towards him.

"Ronet? Ronet!"

Sylvan was right there. He bent down, gazing at Ronet with a very concerned expression.

"Ow..." Ronet continued to moan.

"Are you okay?" Sylvan asked. "Do you need help getting up?"

Ronet nodded, of course.

"Kay." Sylvan stuck out his hand, which Ronet took.

When Sylvan had hauled Ronet back onto his feet, Ronet beamed. "Got you!"

Surprise came into the beautiful boy's eyes, and Sylvan pouted. "No fair! I came over here because I was worried you were hurt. You can't take advantage of me like that."

Ronet was still chuckling, however. "You're right. Bad me. Bad Ronet, poor Ronet."

At the statement of "poor Ronet," Sylvan's pout turned into a smile. "Hee! Yeah, poor Ronet," he said. "Come on, I will motivate you to skate better if it's the last thing I do."

"Would you be really happy if I manage to do this one day?" Ronet asked.

Sylvan shot him a glance full of mirth. "Hmm...maybe." By this time, Sylvan had threaded his arm through Ronet's, pulling him leisurely across the pond of ice.

Ronet couldn't help giggling. "This is so gay."

Sylvan grinned. "It is! And delightfully so. Plus, gay means merry, doesn't it?"