Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

(3) "You totally did!"

"So what's the damage, Harry?"

It's Tuesday morning and I decided not to waste any time getting the ding in my car fixed, so I'd taken it down to the local mechanic first thing in the morning and asked Spencer to follow me so I could have a ride to school.

Harry's a sweet old guy that I'd worked for a few summers ago. I did odd jobs like cleaning and sweeping for a little extra cash, but they needed someone more full time and I could only offer weekends and after school.

"Well darlin," he readjusts the oil-stained cap on his head as he glances down at the dented bumper. "I'll do it for four fifty. That's as cheap as I can go."

It's a good deal, a very good deal. This could have cost anywhere up to a grand at any other repair store so I give him an appreciative smile and pull the notes out of my uniform pocket.

I'm left with a one hundred afterwards and contemplate getting myself a new outfit with it. But I immediately squash the thoughts, knowing that I'll give it back to Drayton. Unfortunately, my conscience doesn't allow me to pocket it.

"Thank you Harry! You're a lifesaver!"

"She'll be done in a few days okay." He pats the top of the car before signalling one of his employees to fetch the keys and move it inside.

"Thanks Harry!" I call out as I start running across the road to Spencer's waiting car.

"Have you still not fixed the air conditioning in this thing?" I wave my hand in front of my face, gasping for some cold air as Spencer sits in the driver's seat taking selfies.

Over winter the air con in her little Mazda hatchback had carked it. It wasn't a big deal at the time but now in summer, even towards the end of it, the need for fresh air is high. The windows are rolled down but even the breeze is warm so it really doesn't help at all.

"I remember why we used my car all summer now!" I groan, wiping at the sweat beads on my forehead. I grip the front of my school blouse and start fanning it in and out. Our uniforms aren't the worst in terms of appearance and comfort. The girls wear a navy skirt and blouse while the boys wear the same colours but with pants and a maroon tie. It's casual for the most part.

"It's not that hot," she playfully scoffs, starting the car and heading towards school. "I swear you're like ten times more sensitive to the weather than a normal person."

"Yeah, you migh-"

"Ahh!" Spencer cuts me off with an excited squeal as she clutches the steering wheel and bounces in her seat. "I just remembered! Tell me about last night. Like everything."

"I already have!"

"No no no! Last night when we were talking you said it was uneventful. I refuse to believe that having Drayton Lahey over for dinner could possibly be uneventful."

A pang of guilt starts to surface for keeping secrets from Spencer. We tell each other everything. Drayton had confided in me that Emily had cheated on him... with his uncle! But when I promised to keep it to myself, I didn't realise how hard it would be to include Spencer in that promise.

"Honestly, him and Nathan just talked football all night. I disappeared to my room pretty early."

I leave out the part about his help with the dishes and our little confession session under the stars, because those things had made him seem more down to earth than I'd believed him to be and for some illogical reason, I wanted to be the only one who knew about it.

"But," I grin as we pull into the school parking lot, deciding that I'll give her something to satisfy the need for petulant gossip. "He did tell me that I have a nice ass."